12.29.2016

My New Laminate Floors - Part III - The Installation Process


This post is sponsored by Quick-Step.  I received Quick-Step flooring and accessories free of charge to facilitate my review.

Welcome to the third installment of my series on installing Quick-Step laminate flooring in Hydeaway Cottage.  If you've missed either of my first two posts, you can catch up on my reasons for choosing laminate here, and the process of picking my laminate finish and color here.  And today, I'm excited to share a bit about the actual process of installing the floors. 

I have some good friends with some construction experience who were willing to help me with the demo and installation.   On the first day, we started by ripping up the carpet and pulling out the small tile entry just inside the front door to reveal the plywood subfloor.

  


After cleaning up the mess, day 2 was spent on installation.  For those who are not familiar with the process of installing laminate flooring, let me give you a (very) basic rundown.  First, an underlayment is put down which provides a cushion between the subfloor and the laminate.  Laminate floors “float” which means that they are not fixed down to the subfloor like hardwood or tile.   Rather they interlock by clicking together.  As a result, many times laminate floors have quarter round molding installed around the edges of a room to hide the small gap between the walls and the floors so that they can expand and contract. 





Because of the way that laminate floors interlock, their installation goes fairly quickly.  We had the entire floor installed in about four hours.  Adding the quarter round probably took more time than putting in the entire floor due to the cuts that had to be made.  But overall, it was a fairly quick process as far as floor installations go.
  

The Quick-Step website has helpful installation instructions that can be downloaded and instructional videos that can be viewed if you’d like further information on the installation process.

And now that everything is installed, my floors look amazing!  They dramatically changed the feel of my main floor and I absolutely can’t wait for next time to share the final reveal with you!   I hope you’ll join me!

Learn more about Quick-Step:


This post is sponsored by Quick-Step.  I received Quick-Step flooring and accessories free of charge to facilitate my review.   As always, the opinions expressed are 100% mine.



         

1 comments:

Jill Haverkamp said...

Thanks for sharing your installation process! We look forward to seeing the big reveal!