12.19.2016

Christmas Three Trees Cake

 And every time people thought of the third tree, they would think of God. That was better than being the tallest tree in the world.

-Traditional


Hello Lovelies!

I'm so glad you are here!  Today I'm sharing a new Christmas tradition that we started this year. 

I was first inspired when I saw a pretty cake in my Instagram feed made by Rachel  of Rachel Elizabeth Creates.  Her cake had three white trees on it.  I loved how it looked, so I thought about how I might re-create it.

So last Sunday, my daughter and I decided to try our hand at creating a cake with three trees. 

I admit that when I first thought about making the cake, I just wanted something pretty and festive.  But afterward, I found a perfect Christmas lesson within the new tradition.

 Are you familiar with the Christmas legend of the three trees?  It tells the story of three trees and what they dream of becoming.  All three trees find themselves in situations that are not what they planned, but ultimately, God has a plan for each of the trees and through each tree significant parts of the Savior's life are brought to pass.  The first tree becomes the manger.  The second tree becomes His boat.  And the final tree becomes the cross.

There are many versions of the story on-line, but the version I remember best is the book by Angela Elwell Hunt.  I believe there are still some available for purchase on-line as well.



I'll admit to not being much of a baker, so we used cake mix and store-bought frosting.  For our trees, we frosted some ice-cream cones and then used sprinkles to decorate them,


And here is our finished product...certainly not the most beautiful cake ever created.  But, to me, it's  the symbolism behind the traditions that really matters and any tradition that helps us remember the true meaning of Christmas is my kind of tradition.  So I shared the story of The Three Trees with the kiddos and we enjoyed the cake.  (It tasted better than it looked - lol!)  And I look forward to repeating this tradition each year.



I hope you are all having a lovely holiday and remembering The Reason for The Season.

xoxo
Wendy