5.02.2016

Make Room For What You Love~

Hello Lovelies!

I'm so glad you're here!

Today I'm sharing a wonderful new book by my friend, Melissa Michaels, called Make Room For What You Love by taking part in a blogger tour sharing ideas on how to simplify your home and life.

One of my passions is simplifying.  I have been talking a lot on the blog lately about what I call "Honest Decorating" or making our homes havens without spending a fortune and without trying to follow all of the trends.  I believe with my whole heart that our homes should be sanctuaries for our families.  And one of the things that has been key for me in following my philosophy of Honest Decorating and making our homes sanctuaries is de-cluttering. (Which is pretty much what Melissa thinks too - great minds think alike.)

My living room...I always try and keep this room clean and organized. (Try being the key word).


I wrote a post all about my feelings on de-cluttering here.

But I thought it would be nice to share a couple of those ideas with you in this post...

First of all, I chose two quotes that I wanted to use as guiding principles for de-cluttering my house.

{1}

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
- William Morris

{2}

Be a ruthless editor of what you allow into your home.  Ask  yourselves, "What does this object mean to me?"
-Nate Berkus

Using the criteria that things should be useful, beautiful or meaningful as reasons to keep them allows for memorabilia, collections, and other possessions (that might otherwise be considered clutter) to remain.

Read more after the break...


I like to keep art supplies for the kiddos in jars on the kitchen counter because that is where our family loves to gather.


In order to have our homes be places of sanctuary, they should reflect the things that we love.  My kids are collectors.  The part of me that wants a clean, clutter-free house would just love to get rid of some of their collections.  But the part of me that wants my home to be their sanctuary, realizes that their collections reflect the things they love.  And using these quotes as my criteria, those collections remain.

In short, my philosophy on de-cluttering can be summed up in this way:
We rid our homes of clutter by getting rid of things that aren't important, aren't attractive, or have no meaning.  In exchange, we hold on to things that have meaning to us, that we think are beautiful, or that we use.  Our homes become places where all of the things we love and find important are kept...which makes our homes even more special to us.

Less is more in my boys' room.  The built-in bunks give them a lot of floor space to spread out and play.


Of course, I love me a good old-fashioned organized drawer too.   I wrote a post all about my dollar-store organization for craft supplies here.  Check it out to see the before vs. the after.  It's amazing what a few dollars at the dollar-store and an hour or so can do. 

An organized drawer is a happy drawer.


Make sure you check out the other amazing bloggers participating in this blogger tour (you can find the links to their blogs below).  And make sure you check out Melissa's new book, Make Room For What You Love.







Eleven Gables / At the Picket Fence / Fieldstone Hill Design / Julie Blanner / Southern Hospitality / Beneath My Heart / Thrifty Decor Chick / Reluctant Entertainer / My Sweet Savannah / Domestic Fashionista / At Home In Love / 320 Sycamore / Sunny Side Up / Craftberry Bush / Happy Happy Nester / The White Buffalo Styling Co / Sweet and Simple Home / Finding Home Farms / In My Own Style / Fox Hollow Cottage / The House of Silver Lining / Infarrantly Creative / Shabby Nest / Today's Creative Life / Sarah M. Dorsey Designs / Emily A. Clark / Just A Girl


I received a copy of Melissa's book at no charge in exchange for this post.  The opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.

         

1 comments:

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Thank you for being a part of the tour and sharing about my book release! I really appreciate your support. xo