2.14.2016

Gray Is The New Tan~

When I sat down to write today's post, I had total writer's block.  I looked at my editorial calendar with its list of topics, and nothing seemed to work.  I stared blankly at the computer screen.  And then I did what comes naturally for me.  I texted my sister in a panic. ;)

"Quick!  I need a blog topic!  I've got writer's block!"

As is always the case with my sister and me, I got back several snarky and sarcastic topic options.  (Sarcasm is what we do best.)  But she did throw out some serious ideas too...and today's topic is one of them.  (Thanks Holly!)

Working in interior design - and particularly in new home design - as I have for the past few years, I have noticed a marked shift in what people are choosing for their interiors.  This, of course, is not surprising.  We all know that fashions change, and that interior finishes are fashion for the home, so they naturally follow suit.

When I started working in new home design, most of the people I worked with were still picking brown stained cabinets and warm-toned  counters (granite mostly), carpets and flooring.  In the past two years or so, the shift to grays has been dramatic.

My kitchen was designed in 2011 or 2012.  Luckily, the countertops have quite a bit of gray in them, so one of these days when I paint the perimeter cabinets white (or gray) they will work well!  The tile will still be warm-toned however...but that's nothing an area rug can't fix.


I'll be honest. Gray has been my favorite color for many years, so watching this shift to gray in home interiors has been fun for me!

Although there has been a marked shift toward painted white cabinetry - and you all know I have loved painted white cabinets for years - even those people who still favor warmer-toned stain for their cabinets are shifting their other choices more toward the gray end of the spectrum.

Which brings me to the main idea of this post.  Since the beginning of the year, I have been focusing on the idea of "honest decorating".  Decorating with what you have and what you love.  There are many of us who live in houses that were built with warm-toned finishes.  And many of us would like to change those finishes to be cooler gray tones, with white cabinets and marble ( a la Joanna Gaines).  But many of us don't have the budget to do so.  




So what's a gray-loving, fickle-decor-lover to do?

Never fear!  Gray may be the new tan, but the good news is that gray can work with tan!

No, really!

You've probably heard the term "greige".  It has become a decorating buzz word in the past couple of years.  Greige is simply a color that is somewhere between gray and beige.  It can encompass an entire range of colors from warm-tone grays to gray-tone beiges.  And although that might sound funny...there really is a difference.

If you are one of those (like myself) that live in a house with warm-toned finishes...but you (like me) love gray and want to bring more grays into your decor, focus on the "greiges".

Wall paint colors such as Sherwin Williams Worldy Gray and Amazing Gray are great warm-toned grays that can help to bridge the color gap between the two colors.

Once you have introduced greiges into your decor, adding more of the blue toned grays becomes easy.  Just make sure you don't forsake the brown tones all together.


For example, in my living room, I have brown carpet and walls that are greige in tone.  I made sure not to leave out the browns in my decor, by using beige linen curtains and accent pillows along with a warm wood coffee table and other wood accents.  

My sofa is slip-covered in a charcoal gray, and my console is painted the same tone.  And you can see that the two tones work together beautifully.

So, yes.  Gray is the new tan.  And just because you may live in a  house that has brown finishes, doesn't mean that you can't bring that gray into your house. You don't have to rip up your carpet or tear out your cabinets.  You may have to paint a wall or two, but that's totally do-able.

So don't stare longingly at Pinterest wishing that you had the budget to rip out everything and start from scratch.  Instead, work with what you have.  Buy a couple of gallons of paint if you need to.  You'll be amazed at the ways you can incorporate gray into your house once you start looking.

Have a gray day!  (see what I did there? ha ha!)

xoxo
Wendy

         

1 comments:

lynn cockrell said...

I love the soft grays and your home looks just beautiful!