2.17.2016

A Simple Trick for Styling Roses~


There's nothing like fresh flowers to bring a dose of sunshine into a space.

And as much as I love having fresh flowers, we all know they can be expensive.   Especially roses.

But I'm gonna let you in on my little secret for how to have expensive-looking roses on a shoestring.

Are you ready?


It's called the grocery store!

No, seriously.

You can usually find small bouquets of roses at the grocery store for very little money.  (My local Walmart usually sells small bouquets for $5).

The key word here is SMALL bouquets.

So how can a small, grocery store bouquet of roses look full and lush?

I'm going to share my little trick with you today.

Okay, I actually learned this trick from Matthew Mead a few years ago when I helped him with a photo shoot.  And you're not going to believe how easy it is!



Most of the time, when you purchase roses...the buds are closed tight.  The key to making an arrangement look full is to help the buds open a bit.




To help them open, start with the outer layer of petals, and gently lift them away from the next layer.  Do not pull them, but rather push them out from inside.  Make sure not to use too much pressure because you don't want to accidentally rip petals off.  Then repeat this between each row of petals all the way to the center of the bud.  That's it!  Your roses will look fuller and more lush.

  Here I am working on some roses.  Photo courtesy of Matthew Mead.


The next trick is to cut the stems fairly short and place them in a shorter vase.  In the photos above, I used silver julep cups.  They are perfect for holding a small bouquet which averages about five blooms.

Next time you're at the grocery store, grab yourself a little bouquet!  It'll brighten your day.

xoxo
Wendy

         

1 comments:

apple said...

Thanks for the great tips! I love fresh flowers too. You inspired me to stop at Trader Joe's this morning and pick up some red tulips. They are $5.99 for ten. They don't last very long, but are so cheery in my little white ceramic pitcher. I so appreciate your tips. Thank you! Where could I buy the cute silver vase you have?