Waking Up My House~

Hello Lovelies!

Last week, I shared with you my new philosophy, Honest Decorating.  As I have been contemplating all of the different facets of what I consider Honest Decorating to be, I started thinking about the ways I honor our home.  Honor our home.  What does that mean, exactly?  

Well, I believe -  as I've mentioned numerous times - that the home should be a haven and an escape from the world.  Because it plays such an important role in our lives, we should treat our homes with respect.  One of the ways that I do that, is by "waking up my house" each morning.

Read more after the break...

Many years ago, I started reading a website called FlyLady.  Anybody heard of it?  The FlyLady shares ways that people can get organized.  The thing I really love about her philosophy is that she refers to housekeeping as "blessing your house".  What a wonderful way to think about taking care of our houses!  And, by extension, taking care of our families and ourselves.  That concept goes right along with what I am talking about today.

"Waking up my house" is my morning habit of getting the house ready for the day.  Of "blessing it" for the coming day as the FlyLady might say.  I work full-time outside the home as an interior designer, so I make my morning routine simple and quick.  But, everyone benefits because our house starts the day in a relatively clean and organized way.

The first thing I do when I wake (assuming it's light outside) is open all of the blinds in the house.  I love to let the morning light wash through the house.  

Then I make sure that my bed is made.  The kids are in charge of their own beds, and although, sometimes I'm tempted to remake their beds in my own way...I refrain.  It's important for them to learn to "wake up" their own spaces.

After breakfast, we all make sure that our dishes are in the sink. (The kids each have a dish day...and often, during the school  year, the clean dishes don't get put away until the kids get home from school.  This is something I'm okay with, as long as all of the dishes they use in the morning get rinsed and put in the sink to be loaded into the dishwasher that afternoon.)

The kitchen counters and the table get wiped down, and the appliances get a quick wipe down as well.  This is not a thorough cleaning, just a chance to make sure there are no spills or crumbs.

After I'm done getting ready, I make sure that my bathroom counters and sinks get a quick wipe down as well.  

Then before we leave for school and work, I take a quick peek in the bedrooms to make sure that the beds are made and the floors have been picked up.  And right before we walk out the door, I make sure that the living room is straight.

This might sound like a lot...but it actually only takes a grand total of about 15 minutes.

Even on weekends and holidays, I like to follow this routine because it allows the house to start out each day in a relatively clean state.  We all know that it doesn't stay that way for long though, right?  Ha!

Later this week, I'm going to share how I "put my house to sleep" every evening. These two routines are my ways of honoring  my house and the people who live in it by taking care of it.  What about you?  Do you have any routines that make housekeeping a bit easier?  I'd love to hear!




Bettye Greenwood said...

I remember The Fly Lady! We were to discard 17 things every day and clean the kitchen sink each night. I like your tips for honoring your house. And it's nice to come home to a clean and orderly home.

apple said...

Honoring your home is very much like honoring yourself. You deserve to have a clean, uncluttered home. Taking the few extra minutes each day to straighten up shows that you are important enough to require that of yourself.

Beck'sInTheKitchen said...

My morning and evening routines are the same as yours:)