Honest Decorating~

The beginning of a new year always makes me very introspective.  As a result I have been thinking a lot about what I want to use my little corner of the world wide web to share.

As I mentioned in this post,  it's been hard for me to keep up with blogging for the past couple of years.  I have been thinking about the reason behind that.  And I realized that it was really all about my own expectations for what was worthy of blogging about.

I felt like I always had to share a "WOW!" project.  
Something that would make everyone "oooh and aaah".  

I love my little boys' room, but you know what?  It's only partially decorated... for example, see the bunk bed ladder?  It's still waiting for a coat of paint.   But I feel like the space is still beautiful and worth sharing!

But, the entire landscape of my life has changed.  I am now a single mom.  I am on a tight budget.  I can dream about all the projects that I want to accomplish in my house.  And believe me, I dream.  And dreaming is okay.  I have a list a mile long of amazing projects that I want to do.  But, in reality, many of the things on the list might never come to fruition.  Whether because everything I want do requires some level of expertise that I don't have, requires time I can't find...or because I simply don't have the funds to pay for the project, I can't plan on accomplishing all of them.

Does that mean that I have to sit back and feel sorry for myself?  Does it mean that I should just settle for a house that I don't love simply because I can't afford to add hardwood floors and a fireplace? Does it mean that I don't have anything worth sharing with my readers here on the blog?  The answer to each of these questions is ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I can't afford to add a fireplace to my house right now...but my console table and some firewood work to create a "faux fireplace".  (We even hang our stockings there at Christmas.)

The truth is, and I've mentioned this many times before, our homes are meant to be havens.  They are meant to be our safe zones, our retreats.  And we can make them beautiful with very little money.  And I really mean that.  I have been there (to be honest, I'm still there).

And so, what I realized is that I really want this blog to be a place where I can journal everything I feel about houses and decorating and how to create spaces that we love when we aren't able to spend a fortune (or to really spend anything for that matter).

I want you to be able to come here and feel uplifted, inspired and empowered  that no matter your circumstances...whether you live in a studio apartment, a small house, a basement, or a trailer...you can make your space beautiful.  You can make it a reflection of you and somewhere that you are happy to spend time.

It's  not about following the decorating trends.  It's about embracing the things that you love and making them work in your space.  And here's the quote that inspired me with this idea...

Stick to the things you really love.  
An honest room is always up to date.
Billy Baldwin

From this quote, I came up with a new decorating mantra that I can't wait to share with you.  It's what I want to call "Honest Decorating"...decorating on a real budget, creating sanctuaries that might not be straight off the pages of a shelter magazine, but that are lovely none-the-less.  Honest Decorating is about embracing the things we love, the things we have to work with, and making the best of them.  It's about not comparing ourselves and our houses to others, but creating places that are a reflection of our true selves regardless of the others.  It's about gleaning the best from the amazing inspiration we are given here on the internet, and using it to build ourselves up rather than making us feel inadequate.

I hope you'll join  me as I work on shifting this blog to become a journal of honest decorating inspiration.  I can't wait to share the ways that we can all work to make our lives beautiful on a budget.  I'm hoping we can start a conversation that will help us all to love the homes we're in and the lives we're living...wherever we are.  




Stylish Revamp said...

I loved reading this post and could not agree more!

JoanMarie said...

Hello! How fun and honestly refreshing is your blog!! So happy to have found it and look forward to many return visits. Your attitude is awesome and it shines through in your words! You should be very proud of yourself for being such a true and real person. Many thanks for sharing your words!
**Please stop by for a visit when you can - I look forward to your next posts!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I loved this post. It was so inspiring to read. I've been having hard time living in the middle of this blogging world where everyone's homes are so picture perfect and seem to be decorated for every season under the sun. We're in the middle of a renovation and have been for the last 8 months. My home feels everything but beautiful. I haven't been able to start decorating quite yet. My best "honest decorating" example lately was my Christmas decorating, which included a tiny fake Christmas tree on a night stand in the corner of our makeshift "living room", which was just a spare bedroom. We still enjoyed Christmas none-the-less even though the house wasn't decorated like it normally is! :)

Chelsea @ The Johnsons Plus Dog

Sparklers Magazine said...

Wendy - Can't even express how much I LOVE this post and how your "honest" words and approach to decorating and loving our Perfectly Imperfect homes touches my heart! With all the beautiful photos of Magazine worthy homes on blogs and other social media, it can become so easy to compare and feel discouraged. So I love when we are reminded about real, honest, approaches to love our homes and making it a haven for ourselves and our families. Love, love, love!

Thank you,