1.28.2016

Getting My House Ready for Bed (A Simple Evening Housekeeping Routine)~

Hello Lovelies!

Earlier this week when I shared my Wake Up Your House Routine, I promised that I would be back to share my routine for getting my house ready for bed.



This routine is simple and short, much like my morning routine, and is designed so that I can go to bed with a reasonably clean house...and my family can wake up and have an easier morning as we all get ready for our various activities.

Read more after the break...



One of the comments which I received on the last post really embodies the reason behind these routines (besides the fact that I'm a bit of a clean freak...ha ha!).  

My reader, Apple, said that "honoring your home is very much like honoring yourself.  You deserve to have a clean, uncluttered home.  Taking the few extra  minutes each day to straighten up shows that you are important enough to require that of yourself."  

Thank you, Apple!  That is a lovely way to express exactly what I believe!

We honor ourselves, our families and our homes when we take time to take care of the places that we live.  But, I don't want everyone to think that means that my house is always spotless.  That is absolutely not the truth.  I have four kids.  We live in a small house.  Our house gets messy.  That  means that my family is living in it!  I wouldn't want it any other way.  I certainly don't want my family (or friends or visitors) to feel like our home is a museum where things are to be seen but not touched.  My house is a home.  To be lived in.  To be comfortable in.  So it gets messy.  But that is exactly why these daily routines are so important.  They help to curtail the messes and keep the house comfortable by giving it a fresh and organized start to the day, and a neat and clean finish to each day.


So on to my evening routine...

It starts after dinner when we make sure that the table is cleared, all the kitchen counters are cleared and wiped down, and the dishes are all loaded into the dishwasher.  I usually take some time to sweep the kitchen floor and vacuum the adjacent dining room and living room carpet if it needs it.

Then after all the kiddos have their homework finished (we usually do homework on the kitchen island or at the dining table), they put their homework away and I make sure the little boys have their backpacks ready for the next day.

Once it gets dark, I close all the blinds in the house...and I like to turn on lamps rather than using overhead lighting in the evening.  I find it creates a more restful and quiet mood in the house.



All of the kids are expected to pick up their rooms before they go to bed.  And I expect the same of myself.  I like to have "a place for everything and everything in it's place".

The last thing I do before going to bed at night is to start the dishwasher so that we have clean dishes in the morning...and since the kitchen sink is empty, I follow the advice of the FlyLady and make sure that I wash down the sink every night.  It just takes a minute...and something about a clean sink makes me smile.

So there you have it.  Like I said, these are just little routines...not thorough cleanings.  But they go a long way toward helping us keep a comfortable home where we can enjoy spending time as a family.

Do you have any evening housekeeping routines?  I'd love to hear!

xoxo
Wendy


         

2 comments:

Nikki Cotton // Carry Grace said...

This is a great evening routine! I like to follow a simple morning and evening routine as well. It just makes everything so much simpler.

Samantha said...

I love your routines and that they are simple enough to actually attain! I've been slowly working on creating routines for myself, too, and it helps tremendously!