10.12.2015

A House, a Home~

You may have noticed it's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything on the blog.  I apologize for my absence - I've been a bit under the weather.

I don't know about you, but when I'm not feeling my best, I get somewhat introspective.  And I have been giving a lot of thought to things over the past few weeks.

I've written similar posts before, but I feel that this is a sentiment that bears repeating.

Like most of you, I love a pretty house.  I love to see a well-decorated space.  I want my house to be a lovely place.  And there's nothing wrong with feeling this way.

But ultimately, what's really important to me... what I really want...is for my house to be a home.  I want it to be a place that's chock full to bursting with love!



As I sit in my home, I've found that the thing I really love about it are the people who live inside.  I love to hear their voices as they play together or yell from room to room. I love to sit around the dinner table each evening and hear the day's events.

I believe that having a home that is welcoming, comfortable and attractive helps everyone feel more at ease.  And I also believe that doing our best to keep our homes clean has the same effect of making others feel welcome in our space.  And I do my best to have my home reflect these things.



But ultimately, I want my home to be a refuge.  I want it to be a haven from the day to day stresses of life.  I want it to be a place where my family wants to be.

And so today, I want to issue a little challenge.  Do one thing today that will  make your family (or friends or roommates) feel loved and appreciated.  It doesn't have to be anything big.  A note...a plate of cookies...maybe straightening up the kitchen.   Just let your people know you love them.  Because, my friends, without those you love, a house is just a house.  It's the love inside that makes a house a home.

         

4 comments:

Vel Criste said...

Amen!

Maureen Wyatt said...

That is a lovely sentiment and very true. It's so much more important to make sure our homes are a welcoming refuge than have every, little detail perfect.Excellent challenge!

Kara said...

Sorry you've been feeling under the weather. Love this post!

Fiona LilyfieldLife said...

Love this post , Wendy, and spot on for today. My best friend's daughter will be staying with us every Tuesday night for the next ten weeks and I've just made the guest room all pretty for her, preparing roast chicken for dinner and about to make some choc chip cookies.
You are totally right - love is what makes a home.
Fiona xx