Thin For You Thursday~

I'm so excited to share a new weekly feature with you!



The idea of Thin For You Thursday was born while my sister Holly was here visiting this summer.  So she is going to be joining me here every week to host this feature which we hope will become a gathering place where we can support one another in our attempts to live healthier lives!

 HOLLY:   I used to think about losing 5 pounds and I would lose it. Now it seems 
that I think about losing 5 pounds and I gain it. I think it's  a 
combination of things. I used to have mountains of willpower and now I 
have the willpower of a 3 year old in a candy store. I also used to be a 
teenager and now I'm 41. I used to have a pre-baby body, and now I have 
a post 4 babies body. It's all relative, really. I usually wear a size 
10. Sometimes a 12. Every once in a while I find that coveted 8 that I 
can pull on without looking like a full sized bed in a twin sized sheet. 
I'm not necessarily super heavy, but I used to wear a size 6, sometimes 
an 8, and once in a while that coveted size 4. I never had a protruding 
collar bone, or a flamingo thigh gap even at my smallest. But now I'm 
just going for those lovely days when my chest is bigger than my 
stomach. (just keeping it real) 


WENDY:  Here's a photo of us taken while she was here.  I'm going to be honest with you.  I knew that I had put on weight.  I talked about it here.  (And I've even put on a weight since then).  But it wasn't until Holly was visiting that I realized how much weight I'd put on.  This photo makes me unhappy.  So I decided that it was high time I did something about my weight.  Now, Holly and I both realize that size is relative.  I am currently a size 10/12.  For some people, 10/12 is ideal...and we both realize that.  I am, however, short (5'3") and small-framed.  In high school I was a size 0...I am under no delusions that I will ever be that size again.  But I am most comfortable in a size 4/6.  When I wear that size, I also fall within my ideal weight range and BMI, so that is what I am aiming to achieve.  Here's where the Thin For You Thursday philosophy comes in to play.  I'm not aiming to be a stick-thin fashion model.  I'm not even aiming to be the same size I was.  I do want to be healthy.  I want to fall within the weight guidelines for my height and frame.  I want to make sure I'm exercising and staying in good shape.  But I don't want to put unrealistic media-induced expectations on my weight loss.

HOLLY:   I was telling myself that I 
would be accountable. I don't need to be skinny, I just want to be fit 
and feel good.  Wendy and I decided that we would be accountable to 
each other. Thursday was the day that we would check in and report our 
progress. We would make realistic goals that didn't cause anxiety (or 
the lack of chocolate in my case.) We would take it slow. We wouldn't 
worry about what the world expected of us, we would worry about what we 
expected of us. We would be healthy for us, fit for us, thin for us. No 
living on lettuce covered in sugar free chocolate syrup. No wrapping 
ourselves in saran wrap to try to sweat off an extra centimeter. Just a 
healthier, more accountable us...  We started on our journey and lo and 
behold... we saw results.

WENDY:  Why Thursday?  Well, in my opinion, it's the perfect day to be accountable...it's the day before the weekend starts...and it gives me enough time to hopefully undo any "damage" that may have occurred the previous weekend.  Since the above photo was taken, I have lost 8 pounds by watching my daily food intake and exercising! I'm on my way.

HOLLY:  My big sis and I got to talking and thought..."wouldn't it be great if 
we had a support group. People to share their success and motivate 
one another. People to share their little secrets and snacks that help 
them stave off the munchies. Send us a picture when they are feeling 
extra spiffy." (that was our "aha" moment.) And.......Thin For You 
Thursday was born.

WENDY: Holly and I both hope to create a community here where we can support one another in getting healthy and becoming thin for us!  Not thin for anybody else.  Each week we will set a goal to work on...and then we'll report back on our progress the next week.  You can work on the same goal with us...or set one of your own.  It's all about working to become the best you that you can be.  And doing it in realistic, baby steps. 

HOLLY:     I am happy to announce that I am down 5 pounds since we started this 
journey, and I intend to keep on going. Slow and steady wins the race. I 
have a very emotional week ahead of me, so my realistic goal for this 
week is to not be an emotional eater. (within reason ;) )

WENDY:  My goal this week is to drink more water!  I had quit drinking Diet Coke entirely...but then I started drinking it again while Holly was visiting this summer.  Lol!  So my goal is to increase my water intake while I decrease my soda consumption.  Wish me luck!

We're also going to be setting up an Instagram account where we will post our weight loss, but also inspiration for all of us on our Thin For You journeys!  Make sure and follow us there!

AND Look for some progress photos coming in next week's post!!!

Won't you join us on this journey?

Wendy and



Victoria said...

Oh my goodness, I can so relate to this! I had my 3rd son when I was 25, after I finished breast feeding, I joined a gym and dropped from 130 to 116. I stayed around that weight for years, all through my 30's, and it was so easy for me! I loved working out and had boundless energy. I'd gone thru a divorce and met my 2nd husband when I was almost 39. After he moved in, the weight started creeping on until I got on the scale one day when I was around 42 and was 163...I was horrified!!! The only other time I'd been that weight was during pregnancy. I buckled down and lost 35 lbs. but it was SO hard! A 1000 times harder than losing weight in my 20's. It took 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week plus walking 2 miles each day and eating 1400 cals. or less per day. But I felt like myself again and felt at home in my body. I stayed at that weight for about a year then we made a cross country move and, once again, it started creeping back on:( It's SO incredibly hard to feel motivated to exercise and I used to feel good when my stomach was empty...now I feel dizzy, shaky and nauseous without food in me. I also don't know anyone in this area and making friends when you're almost 50 isn't that easy so that deters me from walking, because I don't want to go alone. Everyone's either still a mom with kids at home or their grandmother's...I feel sort of stuck in between since my boys are all grown but I'm nowhere near grandma status yet!

I'm 47 so I don't expect to be 125 again but I'll settle for 140! That's only about 15 to 12 lbs. but ugh, it's so difficult! Plus...and I'm not blaming him by any means but...my husband is THE hardest person to diet around. He gets really upset and tells me I'm perfect the way I am blah blah blah, so that makes it hard but I really want to join in on this and will be checking in every Thursday!!! BTW, I think you look great and you look much younger than your age!

paperjunk-lc said...

I turn 53 on Saturday and am so heavy right now...talk about a pity party! If I could lose 30 lbs I would feel so much better. I just ordered It was me all along. by Andie Mitchell she always has such good low call recipes. She writes about her weight loss journey. She lost over 100 lbs. So all that being said I want to join and will be checking in on Thursdays.

Joanna Brittain said...

I am actually to the point where I am just disgusted with myself. I lost 22 pounds about 4 years ago, and was so happy. But I let a few pounds creep up, and thought oh it's only a few, I'll be fine. Those few pounds turned into the heaviest I've been without being pregnant. :-( Yikes! I know what needs to be done, it's just so hard. I have a food blog, and I use that as my excuse all the time. Plus, I hate wasting food. I could just send it with my husband to work when I make all those sweets, but I hate the idea of my hard work leaving our house. Anyways, I am excited about this weekly feature! I need to get on track and take care of myself!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Love this so much!!!! Count me in! I'm checking in each Thursday!

Happy day!

Gina Kleinworth said...

I'm loving this - as someone who is 5'4" & usually around 120. I was so used to eating whatever I wanted & not thinking about it. I have since gained 30 pounds since my mother passed 18 months ago. Something has to change - I can't continue on like this or my health will be an issue. Thanks for the motivation - knowing I'm not the only one makes it so much easier to keep going forward.