5.06.2015

One Room Challenge: The Teen Girl's Bedroom REVEAL~

The Land of Nod, IKEA, Oh Koey and Shades of Light all contributed items to this room reveal.

I'm so excited to share the reveal of my daughter's new bedroom as part of the One Room Challenge hosted by Calling It Home!


I've been working hard on this room over the past six weeks and I'm so excited with how it's come together.  The inspiration for this room really came down to color.  My daughter wanted mint/aqua/turquoise or something along those lines.  So we started by picking her bedding, and everything else really came together from there.


I was on a pretty tight budget for the space.  I had to think long and hard about where my money would best be spent.  The bedding which is from Pottery Barn Teen was the first and most important purchase because the colors set the tone for the remainder of the room.  We used the bedding to pick out the wall color,  Aqueduct by Sherwin Williams, which was our next purchase.  You may recall from one of my previous posts, that I was worried about going with such a saturated color, but I am very glad that we did.

There's lots more to see!  Check out the rest of the room after the break....




Once the color was on the walls, I was able to more clearly see how the rest of the room needed to come together.  We had originally planned on painting one of my daughter's dressers navy blue, but after seeing the walls, I really felt that using lots of white with just accents of navy would be a better choice.   I found the bedside table with navy legs and the navy & white x-leg ottoman both at Target.





In addition, my daughter had wanted to paint her bed white, but after seeing it in the space with the bedding, we both really liked the subtle tone of the bed, and decided to leave it.




And rather than opting for a print for the window treatments, the decision to use lots of white led me to purchase simple white drapes from IKEA.  They are light and bright and (best of all) inexpensive!

Thankfully, I was able to get a few of the items for the space donated by some wonderful sponsors, and that certainly helped.  One of these items is the darling Hemnes Dressing Table which is from IKEA.   My daughter has wanted a vanity for.ev.er. and this one is perfect with its pretty feminine lines that aren't too fussy.





Check out the cute little owls perched on the chair in the corner of the room....I found the large one at Pottery Barn Teen at Christmas time and couldn't resist buying it for her...get this...it's an MP3 speaker.  And since my daughter is a bit infatuated with owls, it seemed perfect!





The rug is another item which was donated to us.  It is the color static rug by Land of Nod, and it is fabulous!  It is essentially a rag rug, but the subtle chevron pattern and variety of colors make it modern.  It's also very soft and thick.



Then there is the adorable Monogram pillow donated by Oh Koey.  I love me a monogram, and the thick linen and vibrant color make this pillow perfect in the space.




Finally, the gorgeous light fixture was donated by Shades of Light.  It is the crowing jewel of the space and I couldn't be happier with it!



The most important thing about designing a room for another person, is that they really feel like the finished space is their own.  We definitely achieved that objective in this space.  By working with my daughter, I was pushed to do things that were a bit outside my comfort zone, and by working on a budget, I was forced to get creative with my choices.  And we ended up with a great space that we both love!

You can read my previous One Room Challenge posts by clicking the links below:



Also linking to:

The Idea Room



The rug, light fixture, monogram pillow and vanity table were donated by the companies noted in the post above.  All of the opinions expressed are 100% mine.

         

16 comments:

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Fabulous!!

Stefani Camper said...

Where did you get the bench at the end of the bed?

Decor To Adore said...

What an amazing transformation! A true job well done. I adore the color palette you selected. It feels fresh and fun. The six weeks went by so fast. I completed our entry, living and dining areas in a new to us 30 year old house. So, cheers to us! Have a wonderful weekend.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh what a pretty room. I love the color and the way you tied the fabrics together. Great accessories too. I am sure your daughter must be in heaven. Gorgeous room.

Tracy Laverty said...

What a fun and happy room you created for your girl. I love that paint color and bedding. Great job pulling it all together!

Erin @ the-organized-life said...

What a lovely room for your daughter! Great job!

Traci Hutton said...

What a sweet room!! I love the rug...well done!!

mollie's mom said...

Great colors - love them. And my daughter is a Chi O and so we are loving all the cute owls!!

Brenda said...

What a wonderful room for a girl. Love your choices. I'll bet your daughter loves it!

Delia said...

Just fabulous! I need a close up of that rug, please. It is lovely! I am sure your daughter is happy with her newly decorated space.

Suzan Sweatman said...

There's so much to love in this room transformation - starting with that glorious wall color !
LOVE the vanity - I thought I knew every single item Ikea carried but I've never seen this - it's just perfect -
Oh and I love the owl accessories too
What a darling room !
xoxo

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Love this transformation. Every girl would want this room. Great job.

SHERRY HART said...

First of all you used my favorite color:) This is a really pretty space...and you pulled it together so nicely! Great job!

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

One of my favorite colors! The bedding is awesome. I bet your daughter loves it. Nice job!

Vel Criste said...

This is just a fabulous room Wendy! Love the tiffany blue and all the black accents you added!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I love the color and the bedding is perfect! Great job!