My New House Part 1: Being Brave~

The last few weeks have been momentous ones in my life.  They have proven to me that - beyond a shadow of a doubt - I can do anything that I set my mind to.  Because two weeks ago, I closed on my new house.  I bought a house.  

And I did it on my own.

Our New Home

It was terrifying...and exhilarating.  It was nerve wracking...and thrilling.  Although buying a house isn't something that I'd never done before, the last time I did it, I was married. And having that other person involved in the process made it less scary somehow.

The house we owned previously was in Massachusetts.  We purchased it at the height of the market in 2007 just before the crash.  After the economy went south, we held on to the house as long as we could and finally sold it at the end of 2009.  We took a loss...but thankfully, not a huge one.  And then we moved back to Utah.

Our house in Massachusetts

Our plan was to rent, save up enough money for a new down payment, and purchase another house.  But then in August of 2010, John was in a terrible car accident that almost claimed his life.  He was unable to work.  The job that I had been working in Massachusetts had allowed me to telecommute, and I had continued working it after we moved to Utah.  But it was a contracted position, and ironically, the end date fell the day after John's terrible accident.

We lived off my retirement savings until it was depleted.  And then, unexpectedly, the people we were renting our house from, decided to sell it.  We were obviously in no position to buy it.  But luckily, we had family who had a townhouse available for us to rent.  It was in a town 45 minutes south of where we were living, but we were thankful and moved in.

Read more after the break...

That little townhouse was such a blessing.  They let me paint it and decorate it how I saw fit.  The neighborhood was wonderful.  The kids' schools were wonderful.

My personal life was rocky during the three years we lived there, however, and last year, John and I separated.  Our divorce was finalized earlier this year.  It was obviously a very difficult time for my children as well.  I longed to give them stability.

I lived in the same house my entire childhood.  My parents still live in that house today.  That house is still a home base of sorts for me.  I wanted my children to have that as well.  I wanted to give them a place that they could remember as their childhood home.  I wanted a place where we could build wonderful memories. I hoped for a place that would be filled with memories they can someday share with their own children.

I started working as an interior designer for a home builder.  Things started to look up.  And then, I found a wonderful job working as an interior designer for Ivory Homes, the largest home builder here in Utah, and for the first time, in a long time, our family was doing well from a financial standpoint.  So although it was scary....terrifying actually...I took the leap and bought a home.

It was a quick-move-in home from Ivory.  It is in the same area as the little townhouse.  My kids get to attend the same schools and live near their friends.  The house is not huge.  But it's perfect.  Our little family of five fits perfectly.  My children feel invested in this home.  They love it already.  I love it for lots of reasons, but mostly because of what it symbolizes.

The view out my master bedroom window the day we moved in...a good sign.

It is undeniably a blessing.

It is also a gift.  It is a gift to myself.  It is a gift to my children.   We have named it Hydeaway Cottage.  Of course, the name is a play on words since our last name is Hyde...but it is also symbolic of the fact that this home is our retreat - our safe haven.

To be honest, I am no less scared than I was before.  Being single and having the responsibility of a house is, quite honestly, terrifying.  But  I know I can do this because if I've learned anything during these past few years, I've learned that I'm brave.  And that counts for a lot.




kelly lautenbach said...

YAY for you. Celebrating with you. Enjoy your success. It was earned. :)

Jessica Simmons said...

Awesome! Good for you! I'm sure you will make it amazing!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

How fabulous. Good for you and congratulations!!! Stepping out on your own is a scary thing, but you have conquered your fears and that is a super milestone. Can't wait to see more.

Richella Parham said...

Being brave counts for SO MUCH! I'm so glad for you, Wendy. I'm proud of the way you're making a home for yourself and your kids. Even though life has thrown you a tremendous curve ball, you're hitting it out of the park. Way to go!

Lee J said...

Congrats and YEAH! to you! I purchased my Little Bitty Damn Houze by myself after being married 25 years and then divorced! It was scary but liberating. And I love it!!

Jennifer Schmitz said...

Congradulations! You can do this!

Nicki Parrish said...

Congratulations! I have been through a divorce and I know how hard it is for both you and the children. I am happy for you, and the house looks adorable!


ANNE said...

Good for you! The scary part is behind you now, just focus on taking things one day at a time. There's nothing you can't do!


Jacquelineand.... said...

Congratulations Wendy! There has been a lot of change in your life these last few years, and you've handled it beautifully. You're also living the true meaning of courage: It isn't that you feel no fear, it's that you experience the fear and do what you need to do anyway!
Not only are you giving your children a secure homebase; you're teaching them... by example... how to live with courage. =)

Beck'sInTheKitchen said...

Congratulations! You are a brave woman, so just keep believing in yourself!

The Painted Drawer said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful role model you are for your children. Way to go, girl!

Okio B Designs said...

Congrats! Best wishes for many happy memories there!


M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Wishing you the best in your brave new adventure. My 1st husband died in 2003. Six months later my third child died of cancer. That was the hardest year of my life. I stayed single for 9 years, which I'll never regret. I had one more child to finish raising and my life was very full with her and my two other married children. Then the grand children starting joining our family. : )
About a year and a half after Sara (my baby) got married, I met my wonderful new husband (who was a widower). He was so worth the wait! I pinch myself everyday since our marriage almost two years ago. He has brought me so much happiness.
Again, wishing you the best, Wendy. I know you'll be successful at whatever you do.
With Regard,

Joan said...

Congratulations! Wishing you all the best!

Jessi said...

Congratulations and best wishes in your new home! It's beautiful!

68b5222c-982f-11e3-bf4e-000bcdca4d7a said...

Congratulations on your new home. I think the rainbow was a wonderful indication of how happy you will all be in your new home. Enjoy.

Jenise said...

Congratulations on the new home! I'm very excited for you. I bought my first home by myself and it was frightening, but it was awesome too. It was actually in SLC too, across the street from Sugar House park.
All the best & thanks for hosting!
~Jenise @ DIYFunIdeas.com

Suzan Sweatman said...

A huge congratulations - I was a single Mom for 10 years so I know what an accomplishment this is!

ann said...

Isn't it amazing what we can accomplish when we truly believe in ourselves? Congratulations and best of luck with this latest adventure!!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Congrats Wendy! It looks adorable. It looks a lot like Daybreak, but you said you stayed in the same neighborhood right? So that can't be it. I was gonna say, hey we are neighbors!!

Daisy said...

What a wonderful blog post first thing this morning! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and hopes. I don't know you personally, but I am so proud of you!

Tilly's Nest said...

Congratulations lady! I am SO proud of you and your accomplishments. You rock!

Patricia Krank said...

You are indeed a brave one Wendy! I'm delighted for you and this step you've taken. I'm also happy that your children feel an "investment" in your new home too. Congrats and God's blessings to you all,