6.04.2014

The Great Gray Debate~

I am in the middle of a debate with myself.

Here is my living room as it currently looks (well, not exactly because I change things up so often, but basically this is it...the furniture is the same at least. lol!)



I love the color of the slipcovers on my IKEA Ektorp sofas.  They are a lovely oatmeal/linen color and I adore them.  Here's the problem...this particular color only comes in a linen blend fabric.  And it has to be dry cleaned.  ( I tried washing one of the cushion covers, and trust me...it really does need to be dry cleaned.)  I've had the covers cleaned once in the 2 years I've owned them.  And let's just say that I could have bought a new cover for the cost of cleaning them.

Read more after the break...





So now that they are in desperate need of being cleaned again, I'm thinking that perhaps buying new covers isn't a bad idea.  But I know I don't want a pure white, since my family room is basically the only "living" space in our home and white would require a lot of upkeep.  So I'm considering buying the charcoal gray slipcovers.

I have a  board on Pinterest which I call "Neutralicious".  It's filled with photos of beautiful neutral-colored rooms.  I searched my board for rooms with charcoal sofas to see if I felt that they darkened up the space too much since I really want to keep it light and bright.  

Photo from Paloma81.blogspot.com

Photo from Telaveo.com

Photo from DouglasCDavis.Tumblr.com


I noticed that the other furniture in the rooms were light (as are mine) and that the walls in each space were light (as are mine).  So think it might work.  I really like these spaces.  And so I think I'm almost leaning towards trying out the gray.  How's that for being non-committal?  

What are your thoughts?

xoxo
Wendy

8 comments:

Seawashed Kerrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GSGreatEscaper said...

Could you dye the ones you have? Then if it works, you are fine. If not, you buy new ones - as you are planning to do now.

Rhonda Vaudt said...

Love the pictures you posted with the gray sofa and they are lovely! I think gray would be a good choice too, especially if you "live" in that room. I'm sure whatever you decide will look beautiful:)

the vintage wren said...

I actually think that the grey would look great in your room, it would really tie in with all of the accents you have in the art & rugs. It will also give the space more depth....I think they'll look fab. Love your space.

gstoney said...

I like the grey but if you want more options here are 2 web sites that sell IKEA slipcovers. http://www.bemz.com/en-us/

http://comfort-works.com/en/

Daisy said...

Thanks for the post. Funny, I have the gray linen IKEA cover on my sectional and just bought the white cover because you can wash them.And the fact that I love the white to lighten up the room.I find that while I like the gray color, it does not work for me and my look I am after in the living room The gray has held up well but shows alot due to the dark color. We will see if I can keep the white cover, white! You are so right, the cost of dry cleaning is more than a new cover.I will look forward to your posts on how you like the darker color in your room.

Kelly @ JAX does design said...

Charcoal grey is beautiful, and you could use so many other colours with it if you get the urge for some change. I say go for it!

Kelsey Boes said...

I slipcovered one of my couches in charcoal a year and a half ago, and I love it. It's really classy and modern, matches everything, and doesn't show dirt. I think charcoal would look lovely in living room, which looks gorgeous by the way :)