10.28.2013

DIY Light-up Marquee Letter~

I posted this cute light-up Marquee-style "B" which I made for my son's baptism celebration on Instagram last week, and the response was overwhelming.  It seems you all love a Marquee letter.  And well, I obviously do too or I wouldn't have made one.  ;-)

You can see how imperfect it looks when it's not lit up, but once you light it...it looks adorable...and it was super inexpensive to make....so for party d├ęcor, you can't beat it!


So today, I thought I'd share how I made this little cutie.  I had seem them posted in various places around the internet over the last year or so, but I didn't follow a particular tutorial.  I just winged it.  But here's how it all went down....

Read more after the break...




  • First, I bought some foam core, some poster board, a set of clear holiday bulb lights (from Target), and some red gloss spray paint.  I already had some gorilla tape on hand, so I didn't need to purchase that.

  • Then I just free-handed a big block letter "B" in pencil on the foam core and cut it out.  I used scissors, but I would recommend an x-acto knife if you have one as they cute more precisely.

  • Then I drew a line down the exact middle of the back of the letter B, and cut holes every 2 1/2" using the cardboard holes in the light box as a guide for size. 

  • I cut 5" strips from the poster board, and taped them to the foam core on the back...fitting it in the middle of the poster board strip so that there was poster board overhang on both the front and back. 

I took the letter and spray painted the front and sides glossy red.

After it dried, I took the light set apart and poked each one through the foam core, re-attaching the lights on the front side of the letter.  I curled the cord up on the back between light so that it would remain hidden.


Then I plugged it in and VOILA!!  A vintage-look marquee letter...for around $20.  Not bad, my friends, not bad.



xoxo
Wendy

For sneak peeks at projects like these...make sure and follow me on Instagram

5 comments:

Dana - http://chocolateandsunshine.com said...

Great tutorial! I love utilizing a letter or two in my home for a fun accessory. I bought bulbs from Target, too, to keep as replacements for my nicer Pottery Barn outdoor light strands. Look forward to reading more of your blog. As a new blogger, it's fun to find other creative Moms who've been doing this for awhile.
Dana
http://chocolateandsunshine.com

Chelsea + Camille said...

What a fun piece! I've always wanted a light up marquee letter but never ever thought of actually making one myself! I think I might be giving this one a try!
xo. Chelsea
chelseaandcamille.blogspot.com

Christine Vandormolen said...

I sooo LOVE this.......Pinning. Christine from Lirtle Brags

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Fabulous tutorial, I love this idea. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live today at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Entirely Eventful Day said...

I love it! What a great idea... and so inexpensive!