10.21.2013

DIY Felt Tree: A Land of Nod Knock-off~

Welcome to "Knocktoberfest 2013" hosted by Lindsay from Makely Home!  I'm so excited to be taking part in this fun event that features 25 insanely talented bloggers!  If you've just come from Emily at Décor Chick - glad to have you!!  If you haven't visited Emily yet, you might want to check out her project as well!



So what is "Knocktoberfest" you ask?  Well, it's an opportunity to share projects inspired by magazines or catalogs!  For my "Knocktoberfest" project, I'm thinking Christmas.  Yep!  It'll be here before you know it.  And this year, I was inspired by some adorable Christmas décor I found at Land of Nod.

So today I'm going to share a tutorial on  how to make these darling felt Christmas trees!


Read more after the break...

Here is my Land of Nod inspiration.


picture via Land of Nod


And here's how I made my version...
What you'll need:
Paper
Pen
Paper mache cone form. (Can be found at Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc.)
Felt
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Some sort of wooden stand (I used some old wooden candlesticks.)




What you'll do:


1. Start by drawing a leaf shape on  your paper and cutting it out.  (My cone forms are approx. 9" tall, so I made my leaves approx. 2" tall.)







2.  Trace the leaf shape onto your felt.  (My trees used approximately 120 leaves). 
Then cut them out.



3.  Starting at the bottom of the cone, hot glue leaves so that the bottoms hang off the cone and they overlap slightly at the sides.



4. Glue second row so that the pointed ends of the leaves overlap the lower leaves where they separate at the bottom.  Continue in this fashion all the way up the cone.


At the top of the cone, I cut a few smaller leaves to give it a "graduated" look.


 Place the cone on  your wooden stand.  In this case, I used some old wooden candlesticks we had lying around.  They were the perfect height and width.  I didn't even need to secure the cones...they fit perfectly!




Enjoy!





The next blogger on this fabulous "Knocktoberfest" blog hop is my amazingly talented friend Donna from  Funky Junk Interiors. 

And to follow along with all of the "Knocktoberfest" festivities, stop over at Lindsay's blog, Makely Home and check out the "Knocktoberfest" page!

Have a great day~

xoxo
Wendy

6 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

The felt trees are so lovely, Wendy! I love the muted tones you made yours out of!

Jackie said...

Wendy, These are so great! I think this would be a fun craft project to do with my boys on a snowy day!

Julia Terpstra said...

I am in love! (Would you believe I like your knock-off's better???) I've been searching for a new Christmas craft... looks like I've found it! Thanks for posting, have a great day... jules

Beth Hunter said...

I love these Wendy! And that is a lot of work cutting all of those felt leaves! Nicely done.

Dria S said...

These are adorable, I love them!! I can't imagine cutting these all out by hand though!

Marianne Songbird said...

Oh these are cute! I love yours more than the original!