Last year I gave my laundry room a much needed facelift. After all, when you're going to spend as much time in a space as most of us do in our laundry room...shouldn't that space be nice to look at?
But laundry rooms also need to be functional. After all, their primary purpose is taking care of our clothes, right? And after living with the space for a year, I decided that I definitely needed to make a couple of tweaks...
Read more after the break...
So I bought myself a few supplies at The Home Depot....
...and added a hanging rod to the shelving above the washer and dryer so that I can have a place to hang-dry clothing.
That simple addition makes a world of difference, so today I thought I'd share some of my favorite tips and tricks for making your laundry room both fun and functional.
1. Add some color. When I made over my laundry room last year, I used a stencil and fabulous green paint to give the boring wall some interest.
2. Create a functional workspace. I purchased a pre-made countertop to place on the washer and dryer so that I have plenty of space to fold clothes.
3. Add lots of storage. Laundry rooms are often used to store cleaning supplies as well as clothes. Choose pretty baskets to create chic storage for both.
4. Add art to make the space your own. My no-smudge chalkboard art is cute and adds personality.
5. Don't be afraid to revisit the space later and add extras you might need. My new hanging rack is the perfect example.
If you're looking to add some fun and functionality to your laundry room, you're in luck. The Home Depot, Maytag and Tide have all teamed up for the #BrilliantHEClean campaign. They're giving away a new Maytag washer & dryer, a year's supply of Tide, a design consultation with Jenny from The Little Green Notebook AND $5000 to make your laundry room beautiful! To enter for your chance to win, go to this site.
And today, one lucky reader of The Shabby Nest will have the chance to win a $500 Home Depot Gift Card and some samples of Tide!
To enter just leave a comment on this post telling me what you'd like to do to spruce up your laundry room! A winner will be chosen at random from all entries received by Saturday, August 10 at 11:59 pm MST.
If you want more laundry room design tips, check out Jenny's ideas here.
This post was sponsored by The Home Depot and P&G. The opinions expressed are 100% mine.