2.27.2013

Not The Typical Way to Paint a Chalkboard Wall~

Sometimes you want to paint a chalkboard wall that isn't the normal black or green.  There are ways to make your own chalkboard paint.  But here is an easy-peasy way to turn any paint into chalkboard paint.  And it's how I created the chalkboard wall in the loft bedroom.


It's called Clear Chalkboard Coating by Americana.  I got a sample in my swag bag from SNAP! last year and finally got around to trying it when I decided that I wanted to create a chalkboard wall for the loft bedroom, but wanted to use paint we already had.

Read more after the jump...



The process was extremely simple.

I started out by just painting the wall the color I wanted it (Magnetite by Martha Stewart.) Then I applied the clear chalkboard coating...

1.  I rounded up a foam roller and a paper plate - way to recycle an old Halloween plate, huh? - and poured a small amount of the coating onto the plate.


2. I used the roller to coat the wall vertically, and then again horizontally.



3. Once the wall had dried thoroughly, I seasoned it by rubbing chalk over the entire thing and then washing it off with a damp rag.



And that's all there is to it.  A chalkboard wall out of any type of paint you already have!


Miss any of the posts about the Loft Bedroom?

You can catch up on everything here ...

Loft "Built-in" Bed Progress
Custom Fitting a Foam Mattress
What I "Wood" Do with a Pretty Pile of Wood (the custom wood art)
 Putting the Finishing Touches on the Loft Bedroom
Loft Bedroom Reveal 
An Ingenious Way to Hang Curtains

Have a great day!

xoxo
Wendy


9 comments:

Suzan Sweatman said...

NEVER knew a product like this existed - how brilliant!!!
Thanks for sharing - it's great to know!
Hugs,
Suzan

Nicki Parrish said...

So glad you posted this! I am guessing you are a night owl just like yours truly! Thanks for sharing!

Lulu said...

This Is great!
I love your blog and I'm so inspired by your posts:)
Lulu

Laurie Sloan said...

Awesome product. Can't wait to try it myself!

Laurie

*Shabby LOCO!* said...

OohhhhhI iwantit!!
C'mon Americana...do a giveaway! ;)

Becky @ The Barefoot Seamstress said...

I just recently heard about this stuff! Endless possibilites!

Laurie@SimplyCreatingHome said...

How wonderful! This will be great for both a wall and all the smaller projects that are out there. Love the Halloween plate - I'd do the same!

Chessa @ Antsi-Pants said...

I can't wait to try this product! Awesome! Thanks for sharing the details.

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

Thanks for sharing about this! I'm going to have to try it!