2.25.2013

Gray Scale Canvas Wall Art~

When it came down to styling the loft bedroom, I wanted the art to really make a statement without being overpowering.  And I wanted it to be sophisticated while still looking appropriate in a boys' bedroom.


If you recall, the first piece of art which we created for the room was the scrap wood wall art. I loved it and it was exactly the sort of art which I had envisioned for the space.  But when I realized that I still had a large empty wall space that required artwork, I had to think up something that was just as simple and just as visually appealing.

More after the jump...




That's when I hit on the idea of using the gray scale.
So I purchased a bunch of 6x6" square canvases from Wal*mart.  ($7.99 for a pack of 4)



Then I turned to the hubby for a bit of help because he has the patience and know-how to take the charcoal wall paint we used in the space - Magnetite by Martha Stewart -  and mix it with white to create a nearly perfect gray scale.  Much more patience than I have for that sort of thing. ;-)

When we hung the art on the wall, we decided to place one lighter square in the bottom corner of the arrangement just to add a bit of visual interest rather than hanging them in a true gray scale pattern.



What a simple way to add big-impact artwork!  (And I can say it was simple - even though painting gray scales drives me crazy - because the hubby did all the hard work. Lol!)


If you missed any of the posts about the loft bedroom you can find them here...

"Built-in Bed" for the Loft Bedroom
Loft "Built-in" Bed Progress
Custom Fitting a Foam Mattress
What I "Wood" Do with a Pretty Pile of Wood (the custom wood art)
 Putting the Finishing Touches on the Loft Bedroom
Loft Bedroom Reveal 
An Ingenious Way to Hang Curtains


Have a great day!

xoxo
Wendy


5 comments:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

What a great solution for wall decor that makes a big impact! Perfect look for a boys room!

Recreate and Decorate said...

That looks great! I will have to share!

happyandharried said...

That looks great and so sophisticated in a young man's room!
And yes, the lone light canvas in the bottom row adds more visual interest.
Anjana @ http://happyandharried.wordpress.com/

James Curtis said...

I'll love to follow your room makeover. Something caught my attention are those blocks on the wall which reminds me of Lego blocks and secondly, what are those glass like square protrusions? are they glass just like from Interior Glass Doors or made entirely of plastic.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

That's awesome! It seems so simple, but they look really cool on the wall!