2.20.2013

An Ingenious Way to Hang Curtains~

Your response to the Loft Bedroom was overwhelming!  I'm so glad that so many people were inspired by the space.  But there are some great things about the space that I haven't shared yet...so I'm going to remedy that situation starting today.


Since the loft bedroom is in the loft (unexpected, right?) we had to come up with a way to give the space some privacy.

I thought of simply using a tension rod like the ones used for bathtub/shower combos, but the two walls in the loft aren't the same length, and using a tension rod would eliminate some of the area that we wanted to use for living space, not to mention that we had to work around the ceiling light fixture.

Learn more after the jump...





As I debated how to remedy this situation, I remembered a curtain rod solution that I had seen on my friend Mandi's blog.  And although she had incorporated the idea for window treatments, I knew that it would be the perfect solution for hanging the curtains from the ceiling. Thank goodness for inspirational friends!



So off to Home Depot I went with the Hubby.  On our shopping list?  12 feet of rope, large eye hooks, and a rope cleat.  We found the rope and eye hooks easily enough, but we couldn't find a rope cleat large enough.  So we had to get creative.  We ended up buying a large drawer pull. 

Now to show you how it all came together...

We started by placing one eye hook against the wall, making sure to anchor it in a stud in the ceiling (since it would have to not only bear the weight of the curtains, but also withstand pulling the curtains open and closed).


Then we anchored another eye hook in a stud against the opposite wall.  But we couldn't locate a stud in the center of the ceiling where we needed it (try as we might).  So we used a plastic anchor to hold the hook in place.


We threaded the curtains on (one on each side of the center eye hook) and then tied the end of the rope securely onto the drawer pull that we had attached to the wall.


That's it.  And it works perfectly!  An ingenious solution...and all for less than the cost of a normal curtain rod.  Love it when that happens!



If you missed any of the previous posts about this room, you can find them here...

"Built-in Bed" for the Loft Bedroom
Loft "Built-in" Bed Progress
Custom Fitting a Foam Mattress
What I "Wood" Do with a Pretty Pile of Wood (the custom wood art)
 Putting the Finishing Touches on the Loft Bedroom
Loft Bedroom Reveal

Have a great day!


xoxo
Wendy


13 comments:

Suzan Sweatman said...

What a fabulous idea - love that they're angled like that - makes it so much more interesting and must make the loft feel at little more spacious?
Hugs,
Suzan

Maureen said...

Clever solution to the problem! Thanks for sharing.

HRANDICA said...

This is great idea. Love the colour combination. Thank you for sharing it.

Jennifer Bridgman said...

Love the look, adds a very cool nautical hint to the space.

Lisa Wagner said...

You clever girl! I love it :)

Sam M. said...

I did something similar in my little man's nautical bedroom. I haven't posted it, but it's one of my FAVORITE things about his room!!!

Nicki Parrish said...

Love that idea, and way cheaper than curtain rods!

Betsy @ Anna Nimmity said...

This is such a clever solution! I love it!

Harbormom said...

Did you angle the bottom of the curtains so that, when they are closed, there is not a gap at the bottom? Would love to see a pic of them closed. I have a vaulted ceiling in my living room, with a wall of windows, separated horizontally about 5' from the highest point. Blinds cover the bottom panes (36 x 84), but there is no way to block the blinding morning or summer sun. This angled rope thing may just do the trick, but there would be an odd drape when opened, I think. How did you handle that?

Recreate and Decorate said...

Now that is clever! Very clever!

Sandra Saves said...

Wonderful. You are the one... Clever Girl.

studio1404 said...

Love this look! Will be using this in our Rec Room!

Jane Craske said...

How fantastic! I love that it is so functional AND fits right into the theme.