I also promised to show you what I did with it.
So here's what I did...
I used the wood to create this beautiful piece of art for the Loft Bedroom. And when I say I created the art, what I really mean is that it was a collaborative effort between my Papa, the Hubby and me. I came up with the initial idea based loosely on some art I saw in the Pottery Barn catalog and a photo I pinned on Pinterest.
More after the jump...
Then since my Papa has tons of scrap wood at his house, I took my idea to him to see if I could use some of his wood. And being the awesome Papa that he is, he cut all the wood for me. This was no easy task...we used five different kinds of wood: Black Walnut, Mahogany, Cedar, Oak and some random wood in his scrap pile. He cut all the wood down to 1" in width, but to add interest, he cut it to different lengths as well as different thicknesses. And he also cut a piece of plywood to 18" x 24" to act as the base. (What a guy, huh?)
Then I brought home the whole pile of wood and the Hubby and I worked together to come up with a pattern that was pleasing to the eye - because two sets of eyes are sometimes better than one.
Then the Hubby (bless his heart) used wood glue to adhere all the pieces to the plywood. The wood glue worked great! Those pieces aren't going anywhere.
We had initially planned to either paint some of the pieces or to stain the piece...but after we saw it all put together, we decided to leave the wood as is...we even love the saw marks...it all adds such great texture to the piece.
But now we're having a slight disagreement. You see, I initially envisioned the piece hanging portrait style (vertically) in the Loft Bedroom...
I'm hoping to get the Loft Bedroom finished in the next week or two...so we have to decide which way to hang it by then. ;-)
Have a great day~
Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello