12.18.2012

A Well-Read Christmas Wreath (Revisited)~

This tutorial was originally posted on The Shabby Nest on December 3, 2009.  It's an old-y, but a goody!  Enjoy!!

When I saw this page in the Pottery Barn catalog, my heart skipped a beat. Yes, the bedding is lovely, and the windows are pretty, but it was those wreaths that I fell in love with. Amazing!! So, of course, I decided I had to make me one of those "bookish" wreaths.


Photo from Pottery Barn

They were so easy to make too...

I started by getting me a piece of heavy cardstock (in retrospect, I would actually recommend using heavy CARDBOARD for this project) and drew my wreath base using a plate and a glass for the pattern.


Then I simply cut it out.

I pulled out my trusty glue gun "Old Blue" and went to work.



After dismantling a book that I never read (and never intended to read) I rolled the pages into tight cones, and secured each one with a dot of hot glue, then I started gluing them to the base in a starburst pattern.
From there I kept gluing until the wreath was nice and full. I loved the shape, but the pages were too new looking. So I watered down some Raw Umber acrylic paint (when I say watered it down...I mean it was mostly water with a little paint in there) and brushed it over all the pages to create an aged look.


Then I added some pretty ribbon and hung it in my dining room window. I thought it looked beautiful...


...until I saw the sun shine through it. Oh. my goodness. It's stunning! And free! (Well, except for the ribbon, but I was buying that for Christmas gifts anyway, and it was 50% off at Michael's so that's almost as good as free, right? RIGHT?)




Have a great day~

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful wreath and thanks for the turtorial.

Cynthia

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Love it! And the ribbon looks great too!

Rachel O. said...

Soo pretty. I've been wanting to put a lot more things on our wall to make our place feel more lived in and homey. A few good wreaths like this would be beautiful!

twopurplecouches said...

I love the look of these book wreaths. Thanks for the tutorial - seems pretty easy to execute :) Now I just need to find a book that I'm willing to part with...

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Wendy, This wreath is beautiful!!! So simple with your great instructions!!!

Myna Kay said...

Thanks for sharing the "oldie but goodie" tutorial. Love the wreath, it would be pretty with sheet music too!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Two years ago I decided to make a book page wreath, too. It's a little bit tedious, but the end result is so worth it. I made mine a little bit differently than you. And since I left mine behind with friend since I didn't think it would make a long move, I just might want to make another one...your way! I love how yours glows in the sunshine!
A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!