11.29.2012

Kidde Worry-Free Smoke Alarms~

I'm very concerned about the safety of my family, as I'm sure all of you are as well.   And making sure that we have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are two of things that are foremost on  my mind when I think about keeping them safe.  So when I was contacted by Kidde to talk about their Worry-Free Smoke Detectors, I thought it was a good thing to share.



I'm sure you've all heard that you should replace your smoke alarm batteries every spring and fall.  Well, it's that time of year to make sure that they have fresh batteries.  It always makes me nervous that I might forget to check them.  I am grateful for that reason that smoke alarms "chirp" to let you know that the batteries are low.  It can be annoying (like many other things in our homes...squeaky doors or dripping pipes for example) but the chirping is nothing to brush off as a minor annoyance.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, the primary reason that fire detectors don't work during home fires is that they have either been disconnected or are dead/discharged.   That's scary. 



Kidde has recently launched a new product called the Worry Free Smoke Detector which features a sealed-in lithium battery that is good for 10 years (the life of the alarm).  What a comfort that would be, to know that the battery wouldn't wear down for the entire life of the alarm.   According to Kidde, the alarm is easy to install, operates 24 hours a day, and features a test/reset button so that it can be tested.  And then when the alarm does expire - after 10 years - you'll hear a "chirp", so you'll know it needs replacing.

My primary concern is that we all keep our families safe.  So, regardless of what brand they are, please make sure all your smoke detectors  are working properly.  If you are interested in trying the new Kidde Worry Free Smoke Alarms, you can find them at The Home Depot.  

I was compensated by Kidde to share about their new smoke detectors, but the opinions expressed are  mine.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

YAY - I am so excited to read this post. We had a loud one chirp just last week, 4 am of course. We are in a rental but will need all new ones when our house is done. Thanks so much.

KatBell said...

We change ours every time change.

Melodee, said...

I can't stress hard enough that everyone should have a CO detector as well. My daughter and granddaughter lived in an apartment with a gas heater and suffered CO "poisoning" due to an improperly burning/combusting pilot light. It took two and a half months to figure out what was causing the excruciating headaches and other symptoms. Eight doctors couldn't figure it out. Normal output should be 0 parts per million. Hers was 215. We are very blessed and fortunate. The exposure ended almost four years ago and she's regained almost all of her brain functions, mostly in the executive function and memory areas. She's not where she was pre-exposure, but she's getting better all the time. Healing takes a very long time for Traumatic Brain Injuries. It's a wait and see game with my granddaughter. Little brains can compensate for a lot. Everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector. The best ones, and they're not that expensive, are the ones that give a numerical readout. I'll get down off my soapbox now.