11.13.2012

Just Keep Swimming~

Meet Dory.


The kids have wanted a pet for some time.  But since we are renters, having a pet of the four-legged variety isn't an option.  So when the Princess brought home a goldfish from school, I thought that it would be the perfect fit (provided it lasted through the first night - since most goldfish brought home from school/fairs etc. usually don't.) 

When the goldfish was still with us a few days later, we moved her from the plastic container she had been in since she came home, to a real fish bowl.  And we gave her a name.  Dory.  Why Dory?  Well, I suggested it because Dory was my favorite character in Finding Nemo - and a fish - not a goldfish - but a fish. And the kids liked it, so it stuck.


Since then, Dory and I have bonded.  When she sees me come into the kitchen (where her bowl is) she gets very excited and swims back and forth at the edge of the bowl.  I'm sure she just wants food most of the time, but it's her way of communicating with me.  And I like it.



And if you've ever seen Finding Nemo, you know that the line Dory is the most famous for is "just keep swimming."  Well, when we first named Dory, that line wasn't foremost in my thoughts, but now it seems like Dory has become a mascot for me...a reminder to "just keep swimming".

Perhaps you've noticed that the past several weeks have been a little quiet around the blog.  I haven't posted as much as usual because, as happens with everyone, we've been going through some challenges lately.   And the past two weeks in particular have been filled with medical tests and doctor visits for my 7-year-old.   He is going to be fine...we just have some medical issues to deal with (in addition to his Alpha-1). But times like these worry a mama's heart. 

Then I look at our funny little goldfish and I remember to "just keep swimming".

Being November, the month of Thanksgiving, we have been focusing on being grateful here at our house.  And despite the challenges that come our way, I am grateful. 

For a warm house, for food on our table, for clothes on our backs,  for transportation,  for faith. 

I am grateful that we have medical care.  That we can find diagnoses, and have plans of action to take care of those things.  I am grateful for friends and family who are there to support us during difficulties.  Who help us have the strength to "just keep swimming."  

What a blessing that is.

xoxo
Wendy

7 comments:

Laura said...

I am praying now for continued wisdom, healing, and the strength you need each moment. It would be nice to have lots of extra strength, but the Lord only promises what we need. But dependence on Him works out so much better than my independence! Blessings to your sweet family.

One Purple Dandelion said...

I love your blog and will be here waiting for any posts that you have time to publish. In the meantime, take care of your family and hang in there!

Piper said...

Love that you chose to share your "just keep swimming" story. I also love how God uses the simple things in life to give us encouragement. Until today I had never even known about alpha-1 nor read your about me... or anything other than enjoying your frugal fridays, your craftiness tutorials.... Thanks for being real today and know that somewhere in blogworld is someone in NC lifting you up in prayer. "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God in Him I will trust." Psalm 91:2

Melanie said...

I'm sorry that you've been having medical issues with your 7-year old. Sweet that you named your fish, Dory. That's all we can do sometimes...just keep swimming and keeping our head up. Blessings to you!

Presvytera Eleni said...

Wishing all of you comfort and strength and blessings.

Debra said...

ha ha ha I remember those days / BEWARE..if she lives much longer you'll be getting an aquarium and spending lots of money at the fish store :)

Erin @ Two Story Cottage said...

So sorry to hear about your son. Sometimes the "figuring out" part of the medical process is the most challenging. My son has had medical issues since birth but the unknown was always the tough part. You guys have certainly had your share of medical trials.

I will pray for your son and your family!! You always seems to have a positive outlook.

I love your fish comparison. :)