9.25.2012

Simple Way to Embellish a Pumpkin~

I promised in my post about my creepy-crawlie (creepy-crawly?) Halloween mantel that I'd share how I made the cute butterfly-embellished pumpkin. 


It was soooo easy, it almost doesn't warrant a post of its own, but I'm gonna tell you anyway.  Cuz that's how I roll.  ;-)

So here's what you're going to need:

A Faux Pumpkin - I think that white pumpkins are the best for this particular project.
Vellum paper - available at most stores that sell scrapbooking supplies.
Spray Adhesive

And here's what you're going to do:

Print out your image on the vellum paper.  I found my image on the Graphics Fairy blog. 
Cut it out.  I used regular scissors to cut out my image, but you might find it easier to use an xacto.
Lightly coat the back of your image with spray adhesive, following the directions on the can.

Now this next part may vary a bit depending on the brand of adhesive that you use (and whether or not you want your image to remain permanently on the pumpkin.)  I like to switch my decor theme from year to year, so I didn't want to have the butterfly image permanently adhered to the pumpkin.   In order to make the attachment temporary, all I had to do was wait 60 seconds after I sprayed the back before I attached it to the pumpkin.
Smooth the image on the pumpkin.

That's it. 

The thing I like about using the vellum rather than regular paper, is that it gives the illusion that the image was decoupaged on rather than just "glued" on with spray adhesive.  I love the unexpectedness of marrying an image like a butterfly with a classic symbol of autumn like a pumpkin.  Of course, you can use any image you'd like, the process is the same. 

Want more easy ways to spruce up pumpkins?  Check out these posts...






Have a great day~


6 comments:

Mrs Bishop said...

How cute- also loving the glitter pumpkin!

Jane Craske said...

LOVE! Our pumpkins are usually much less stylish. I'll have to step up my game this year.

Tilly's Nest said...

They are beautiful! You are always such an inspiration. Would you mind linking them up to my blog hop? I'm in my 4th week and would love for my readers to meet you!

Cynthia said...

They look great! Good proect.

Cynthia

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Those are seriously the cutest pumpkins I've seen! Glitter is such a great touch! :)

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Those are seriously the cutest pumpkins I've seen! Glitter is such a great touch! :)