9.20.2012

Outdoor Fall Decor (the evolution of this year's display)~

Sometimes I get an idea in my head, and then when I go to put that idea into action, it changes.  And then it changes again.  And again.  And finally, I get it right. :-) 

Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Case in point, this year's outdoor autumn decorating.   I knew I wanted mums, pumpkins and burlap.  That much didn't change.  But here is the way it all went down....

1. My first try...  I actually really like the simplicity of this...I liked the fact that I "graduated" the colors of the mums - kind of ombre style.  But it needed a bit more.



2. So I added the pumpkins and a lantern (in various configurations).

And I actually reeaallly liked it.  But then I started worrying about the wind.  It is extremely windy around these parts, and where the bench was sitting at the end of our walk, I worried that it would be too vulnerable, and I would end up with mums blown far and wide.

3. So I decided to move everything to the shelter of the porch right by the front door...

And it was pretty, but something wasn't quite right.  So I brought the bench back over, and made a "corner".

4. And here is what I ended up with.  Pretty as a picture. ;-)


And this is how it will stay....for now.  Lol!

Oh, and just a reminder that my curated sale at Joss & Main is this Sunday!  If you aren't a member and would like to be, here's an invitation (from me to you)!  I can't wait!  (Just a note in the interest of full disclosure, I get a credit from Joss & Main for the first purchase of each person that signs up using my invitation.  Thought you'd like to know.)

Linking up to:

8 comments:

Katies Life Ever After said...

I do the same thing... Put adorable stuff on the front porch and then realize that 40 mph wind will destroy my display! Love your set up both ways!

Jocelyn Pascall said...

Looks adorable. And, I think the process of making it right is half the fun! That is where the creative juices get to flow and you end up really owning your idea, because you put thought into it.

Ashleigh Nichole said...

I love the way you had it to begin with! It was adorable. However the 2nd look is ok too :)

Cynthia said...

I loved the first design but the second one I think is better. We have the same problem with the wind. In the fall and winter it is brutal and constant in front of our house and we also have the animals to deal with so we can't even put out real pumkins in front of our house. Which really bums me out.

Cynthia

Tilly's Nest said...

Super pretty Wendy! Don't you just love fall? I started a bloghop. If you feel like hopping with us, we'd love to have you share this post! ~Melissa

countrycharisma said...

That's really pretty. Love the colors and especially the final arrangement. Puts one in the mood to fall decorate!

Christina said...

oh so pretty!! I love the "ombre" effect of all of your mums!! :)

Tracie OB said...

Your vignette so makes me want fall to come!! It's always a little slow here in So Calif. ;) I love all the pictures but I would love to see one that is so "closeup" to see how it fits on the front porch. The details are great, but I'm a "whole picture" kinda girl! thanks for all your inspiraiton!