9.06.2012

Easy Way to Create No-Smudge Chalkboard Art~

During my laundry room reveal, I shared this cute chalkboard art (I use the term "art" loosely, since it's really just words).   But the cool part about this "art" is the fact that although it looks like typical chalk...it's actually smudge-resistant.   Yep! 


You want to know the secret?

Well, I'll tell ya...and it's so simple, you'll wonder why you didn't think of it.  (Or maybe you did think of it....in which case don't tell me, cuz I want to think I'm clever.)  Lol!

The trick is COLORED PENCIL - in this case white, but any light color would work. 



I know that a lot of people like chalk pens.  And I think they're great, but they don't really look like chalk when you write with them.  Using white colored pencil to draw with, however, really does look like chalk.  But the fine tip allows more control, and they really are basically smudge proof.  Not 100% though...I mean if you really rub the markings, you can smudge them.  But they don't smear the way chalk does.  It takes actual effort to smudge your artwork once it's done.   But never fear if you make a mistake....you can erase it with a regular pencil eraser.  EDITED TO ADD:  I've had a couple of questions from readers, so I want to clarify.  The artwork is permanent...it really is artwork not a chalkboard that you will use and reuse...but if you make a small mistake while you are creating your art, you can erase it with a pencil eraser, just like you would for a regularly.   

This is a great trick if you want to create some of those intricate chalkboard art pieces that I've seen floating around in cyberspace.

I have one last tutorial from my laundry room redo headed your way, but since Frugal Friday goes live tonight, you'll have to wait until Monday to find out all about how I stencilled that wall - and I also have a fun giveaway that goes along with it!  So make sure you come by  Monday to find out all about it!

xoxo
Wendy

Related laundry room posts:
The Big Reveal
How to Create Personalized Laundry Bins

5 comments:

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Wendy -wish i'd read this a few weeks ago. I have just finished a massive chalk drawing and am wondering about it smudging.
here it is: http://www.lilyfieldlife.com/2012/08/i-think-shes-finished.html
it's about 4 foot by 3 foot
any ideas?? (other than start again, cause that's not happening!
cheers Fiona xx

LL from KS said...

How do you erase it? Do you use a damp cloth or an eraser?

Carla said...

So, is the eraser just if you make a mistake? Or can you really erase the whole thing and write something else and it works like a chalkboard? Or is it more like faux chalkboard art which is also an adorable idea and you wouldn't really need chalkboard paint couldn't you just use a flat black paint? I love the idea either way but if if is completely erasable that is awesome :) Love your laundry room. BTW

Jocelyn Pascall said...

Great tip! Also, FYI - I have been thinking about your new laundry closet since you posted it. My laundry set-up is almost identical and I'm now dying to spice it up a bit. I'm just waiting for the right moment to bring it up to my husband, who I think is feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of my DIY ideas lately haha.

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Great idea! Especially if you dont want to change out the message often. I just posted about my new chalkboard and love having a canvas I can change with the seasons and my moods...check it out!
http://elegantnest.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-chalkboard-project.html