6.14.2012

40~

Today I turn 40.  Yep.  The big 4-0.  Not sure exactly how I feel about that.  ;-)  So as I thought about what I wanted to post today, I was thinking about my birthday post from last year.  It is one of my favorite posts I've ever done on the old blog.  39 bits of wisdom that I'd gained over the years... and I shared them with you.


via One Charming Party


I wasn't sure how to top it.  So I decided to share those same 39 bits of wisdom again this year...if you happened to see the post last year, I hope you enjoy it again...and to add 1 more.

So here, as my birthday gift from me to you on my 40th birthday are 40 bits of wisdom that I've gained over the years...

1. Breathe.
2. Smile.
3. Believe that you have something great to offer.
4. Chase your dreams.
5. Tell your family you love them.
6. Treat your family like you love them.
7. Exercise makes you feel good.
8. Making your bed helps your whole house seem cleaner.
9. Don't dwell on the negative.
10. This too shall pass.
11. Be kind. 
12. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
13. Give compliments freely.
14. You only get to live each day once, do it right the first time.
15. Dressing up is good for you.
16. So is icecream.
17. Stop and smell the roses.
18. Listen to your children...even when you're busy.
19. Give credit where credit is due.
20. Stop at a lemonade stand.
21. Give anonymous service.
22. Always say thank you.
23. Work hard.
24. Play hard.
25. Dream big.
26. Never stifle a good instinct.
27. When you go out of the house without makeup, you will always run into someone.
28. Go barefoot whenever you can.
29. Hot baths are good for what ails you.
30. So is hot chocolate.
31. Dance to the music.
32. Sing.
33. Don't be afraid to try something new.
34. Failure often leads to later success.
35. You really are only as old as you feel.
36. You can do just about anything you set your mind to.
37. Be your best you, because someone is always looking to you as an example.
38. Nurture your creativity.
39. Celebrate the little things.

and

40. Everything will be okay in the end...if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

Thank you for visiting me here at The Shabby Nest!  I just love all of my bloggy friend (old and new alike) that I've come to know through this little corner of the blogosphere!  You all make me happy!

xoxo
Wendy

32 comments:

Michelle @Paintsley said...

Wendy, I hope you have a wonderful birthday today! Loved your bits of wisdom; I pinned them so I could look at them again from time to time. :)

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Happy birthday Wendy! Great advice and several that would just make my day tomorrow better :)

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Happy birthday to you Wendy! I so enjoyed reading your list, although I must admit I'm feeling guilty for not wanting to listen to my kids more. It is truly a challenge for me. Two girls, 7 and 3. It. Never. Stops. Haha



♥Linsey

Organizing Made Fun Becky said...

Happy Birthday! Welcome to the the club! The 40s are great! Hope to see you soon at Haven in Atlanta! We can chat all about how 40 is fabulous :)

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Eva from ~ Sugar Shack Studios ~ said...

Happy birthday! The list was lovely - I hope you had a beautiful birthday and I wish for you a bountiful year of blessings!

Leanne said...

Happy Birthday! What a great list!

Okio B Designs said...

Happy birthday! Welcome to club 40!

Jeanine

Mel said...

What a lovely post. Happy birthday!!

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday! I really like your list!! And really 40 isn't so bad... and it is so true that you are only as old as you feel!!

Have a wonderful day celebrating with your family!

Starr @ The Kiefer Cottage said...

Happy Birthday!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Happy 40th!! You have so many wonderful things ahead -- loved reading your list (again!). It's full of great nuggets. :)
Enjoy!
xo Heidi

lisaroyhandbags said...

Happy BIrthday! Great list! I didn't find 40 hard, I found 41 hard - I was officially IN my 40s!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Happy Birthday. From someone who is ever so slightly older than you - enjoy! 40 is the new 30 anyway, so live it up!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday! 40 is wonderful! (43 is still good, too.) I felt like hitting my 40's brought more clarity and purpose to my life. It may also have brought a need for reading glasses and a few more forgetful moments, but you take the bad with the good! Have a blessed day!

Jennifer L. Griffin said...

Happy Birthday Wendy! My turn for this big one is coming in a few months. Your bits of wisdom are inspiring...I especially like the last one. Never give up! Hope you have a terrific, fun-filled day!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

happy birthday and great advice- so true!
looking forward to seeing you at haven! :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly @ abakershouse.com said...

Happy Birthday!
Have a wonderful day!!

Ashley said...

Happy birthday!!

www.thisoldhouseinnewliberty.blogspot.com said...

Have a very Happy Birthday today!!! You are young!!!!!

Nancy

Genny said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the words of wisdom! Just what I needed today! So glad I found your blog today!

Debbie @ OtRD said...

What a wonderful list! Happy Birthday and here's to many more wonderful years!!

Tarnished Rose said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Smiles~
Marilyn

Monique said...

Happy Birthday. What a great, fun, wise post.

I just turned 40 myself, a few months back. It's awesome moving into the beginning of a new decade of life!

Ami Allison said...

You're right, I didn't see this last year. THIS is a wonderful list. I will be turning 40 next March and these are all WONDERFUL lessons to be reminded of. Thank you so much for sharing them with us and for sharing your wonderful life, family and creativeness with us. Happy Birthday, Wendy. :)

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday, Wendy!

Mom in High Heels said...

Happy, happy birthday!!! I love your bits of wisdom. Your words are wise (ha, I originally wrote wine instead of wise-Freudian slip?). I hit the big 4-0 next year and I'll try to remember them.

Revi said...

Happy Birthday, Wendy. Haven't you heard? 40 is the new 30. :)
I know you've heard "Life begins at 40." I hope this is your best decade yet!
-Revi

Jessie @ Dream and Differ said...

Happy birthday, Wendy! I just wanted to say thanks for writing such a beautiful blog and sharing your home with us. It's a pleasure to "know" you. Have a blessed year!

chameleonathome said...

Many of those would be on my list as well. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Wendy Happy birthday, fellow Gemini. (i'm 45 today)
Hope you had a great birthday and I love your 40 things.
cheers Fiona

Connie said...

Loved this post, and that cake is awesome :)