5.09.2012

Easy (and Functional) Way to Hide Ugly Computer Cords~

The family computer in our house is located in our kitchen.  As is the case with most desktop computers,  ours has about 1231523523456 cords.  But the thing about the desk in the kitchen is that it isn't set up to accomodate all those cords.  And I had to look at it...every day.  It finally got to the point where I couldn't take the visual mess anymore.  And I decided to do something about it.  And it was SUPER easy.  And I'm going to tell you all about what I did.  And if you have a similar situation with messy cords maybe you can fix it the same way.  So here we go.  :-)

Here is the problem area...



Look at that jumble of cords!  Yuck.  After I brainstormed my brilliant-but-so-simple-I-don't-know-why-I-didn't-think-of-it-sooner solution,  I went and picked up the supplies I needed:  a large bulletin board, some fabric, some upholstery tacks and some cup hooks.  (I already had the staple gun).


First, I simply covered the board with the fabric...I wrapped it around to the back and used the staple gun to secure it.


Then (just to up the pretty factor) I added the upholstery tacks.  I simply pushed them in around the edges of the board just inside the frame.



Then I added two cup hooks to the top of the board...and two to the bottom of the upper cabinets, so that I could hang the board.  (I needed to have the board up off the desk and far enough away from the wall that all of those pesky cords could slip underneath the bottom of the board and  hide behind it.)


And here's the AFTER!

It's pretty just like this (nice and clean and organized looking). 


But the great thing is that the board is also functional!  Here I've started adding a few family photos.  It's such an improvement for a minimal investment and a few minutes!!


xoxo
Wendy



19 comments:

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Brilliant, functional and very pretty too.

Brandi said...

Love it! Such a clever idea!

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...

Looks great!

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

What a great idea! I could so do this!

Julie said...

Cute idea! Looks great :)

Aroura said...

How creative! I love it!

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

Love this idea, Wendy! Just pinned it. Will I get to meet you at Haven in June?!

Jane Craske said...

So much cuter!

Piper said...

Now that's NIFTY!!

Pam Zambenini said...

Hi! Very cute and I would be interested in knowing the source/brand of the fabric. It is exactly what I have been looking for to upholster the back of my hutch! Thanks!

Sarah Yoder said...

So cute!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Pretty! But you need a Mac - no cords!!!! Love ours, love the fact that the tower is gone and our keyboard and mouse are wireless!

But still thing your ingenuity is the best!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Pam,
I purchased the fabric at Hobby Lobby. Hope this helps.

kelly@refresheddesigns. said...

Brilliant idea! Love the fabric. Great job.

Desiree @ Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I am so doing this in our office behind the computer monitor! I have been struggling for so long on how to decorate this section of the wall and no matter what I do it looks out of place. I love the dual purpose of this...prettify the space as well as hang photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

By the way, check out my coral horizontal striped bathroom makeover here...http://mommatobug.blogspot.com/2012/05/im-back-and-ive-done-lot-of.html

Beth @ Free Stylin' said...

What a smart and stylish idea! Love it!!

Ami Allison said...

This is GENIUS, Wendy! I have a few places that definitely need this!!

Kara said...

Wow, this idea is genius Wendy! Love the fabric you used too. :)
By the way, saw you on Nate and you were FABULOUS! Your stenciled wall is stunning! :)

Peggy said...

Wendy,

How did I miss this earlier? What a great idea! Not only are you able to hide the cord mess but now you have a great display board as well!!