3.27.2012

Spring Craft Week: How to Make Paper Medallions~

Welcome to Day 2 of Spring Craft Week at The Shabby Nest!

Today, I'm going to share a super-easy tutorial on how to make paper medallions.



You may recall a few weeks ago I made a few paper medallions for the Princess' 9th birthday and I promised you that I would share a tutorial.  Well, I know you thought I forgot, but I was really saving it for the fabulosity that is Spring Craft Week!!  There are a number of these tutorials on making these medallions out there in blogland...but here's my take on it...ENJOY!

Here's what you'll need:
  • paper (scrapbook paper works best)
  • scissors or a paper cutter
  • ruler
  • pen
  • glue or sticky tape (I actually like to use hot glue because it works really fast)

Here's what you'll do:

1. Cut your paper to size.  Your medallion will be 2x the width of your paper strip. You will need approximately 12" of paper for 1" of width.  For Example:  if you want an 8" medallion, you'll need a strip of paper 4" wide and 48" long.  Since scrapbook paper is usually 12" long, you can simply attach 4 12" strips together end to end to get the appropriate length.


2. Score the paper every 1/2 inch.  (larger medallions can be scored every 1"). I use a pen to score my paper...just make sure you draw the lines on the wrong side of the paper.  Luckily my paper cutter has indentations each 1/2 inch, so I simply used them, but you can use a ruler and a pen to score yours.


3.  Fold the paper accordion style on each score line.

 


4. When you are done folding, attach the ends together to create a tube.


5. Gently press one side of the tube into the middle to create a medallion.  *this part can require a bit of patience.*

6. Step 6 is purely optional, but I like to weight the medallion down with something heavy like a glass or plate because they have a tendency to not want to lay flat at first.  You can do this now or after the next step...or not at all...it's up to you. (Kind of looks like a fancy coaster, no?)


7.  Glue a paper circle (or other shape) over the center hole of the medallion.


There you have it...pretty paper medallions.  Easy peasy!! 

Another craft tutorial headed your way tomorrow (if I get movin') Lol!
Have a great day~

2 comments:

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Those look lovely :) :)
~xxx
Holly

srpprcrftr said...

Your projects are great, thanks so much for sharing awesome tutorials. So many ways to make those off your ideas. Think maybe I have a canvas in stash, hope so.