3.14.2012

My Daughter's Bedroom Redo: Before and After~

Hello Lovelies!

Today, I'm very excited to present THE REVEAL of the Princess' Bedroom!

This has been a long time in coming, mostly because of a few details that I was struggling with..but it finally all came together.  So without further ado I present ...


THE BEFORE:


And THE AFTER:



First things first.  The room is quite cozy (code word for small), so I wanted to start out by giving it a coat of fresh white paint.  That, by itself, did a lot to open up the space.  Then we had to exchange the Princess' full size bed for a twin.  That allowed us to come up with a fun new headboard and we chose to create an upholstered headboard.  You can read more about that here.


This view of the other side of the room shows the Princess' dresser which we painted blue, as well as the window seat which we reupholstered from pink plaid to green polka dots.  You can read more about that here.

Here's another view of the window seat.  I added the pom-pom fringe to some store-bought curtains to give them a more custom feel.  I also made all of the pillows.  The green pattern pillow was used in the Princess' bedroom in our previous home.  I made the blue and white pillow with fabric that I designed on Spoonflower.com.  You can read more about that here.  I also created the linen pillow using a drawing that I did of some ballerinas. Watch for a tutorial on how you can make one too...coming soon.


Here's another view of the blue dresser.  The wall art consists of the Princess' monogram, a photo canvas, and the button art monogram I created.  You can find out how to make your own button monogram here.  (Oh, and of course, the Princess' American Girl Doll keeps watch over things while the Princess is at school!)

What girl's room would be complete without some pretty pom poms?  The "sticker" on the wall is actually a paper doll fabric wall cling from Love Mae.  I love it!! (So does the Princess!)




I don't know if you've noticed yet, but this room has a bit of a fashion theme going on...(I don't like over-the-top themes, but a subtle theme is always fun)  and this print called Jane Austen Dresses is from this vendor on Etsy and was a perfect addition.


Here's a little detail from the window seat.

And here's another view of the bed.  The art was created using a Barbie fashion calendar.  You can read more about how I created it here.  The quilt is the pick-stitched quilt by Pottery Barn.



Here's a close-up of the pillows.  Again, the blue and white pillow was created using my Spoonflower fabric, and I embellished it with some "melted" flower brooches that I created.  You can read about that here. I also added a bit of pom-pom fringe to this pillow to tie it in with the curtains.
 

Here is a detail of the sconces.  Since the room is on the small side, I felt that sconces would be a better choice than lamps.  These cuties are from IKEA.


And here's one last view of the bedroom!  I sure love how it turned out....and so does the Princess! (Which, after all, is what really matters.)


Have a lovely day!!
xoxo
Wendy

Linking:

TDC Before and After

40 comments:

Gloria Fox @ Potentially Beautiful said...

So cute. Love the headboard and window seat. I'm sure she loves it.

Jenny@NorthwestLovelies said...

Gorgeous room! What a lucky princess! I'm putting together a vaguely 'dress' themed room for my daughter right now. :) I love the fabric you designed, and the colors in the room are beautiful!

Gen said...

You did a beautiful job and thanks for sharing! All the personal touches make the room so special. Enjoy,

Lindsey said...

looks amazing! I LOVE it!! Love the details.

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Looks fabulous Wendy! With two boys here, I never got to do a "girlie room" but love seeing all of the adorable afters in blogland.
I will be adding some soft lilac to our master bedroom makeover...

http://elegantnest.blogspot.com/2012/03/master-bedroom-inspiration.html

After all, every girl deserves her own space! Thanks for sharing ~ Laura

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, the room looks great!

My favourite part has to be all of your fabric choices. Lovely. :)

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, the room looks great!

My favourite part has to be all of your fabric choices. Lovely. :)

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

This is adorable!!! I'm loving all the blue with the pops of red, do fun! And, isn't Spoonflower great?! Love how your fabric turned out :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks so grown up and beautiful! love the dresser and the colors! i just painted my daughter's room a white, too, and i love how colors pop against it.
i bet your daughter is thrilled!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It's so darn pretty! I wish this was my room it's so cute.

Good job!

Sandy said...

What a beautiful bedroom! No wonder your daughter loves it.

Trisha said...

Absolutely lovely!

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate said...

It's so pretty! The green you used is gorgeous! I bet she loves it!

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate said...

It's so pretty! The green you used is gorgeous! I bet she loves it!

Rona Gregory said...

Isn't this just the prettiest room ever! Bet your daughter loves it!

I really love the color palette you chose too and the art work above the bed is fab!

Carol@HouseandHomeDefined.com said...

The room looks great, all of it, but I think my favorite element is the ball fringe! Crazy as that sounds (and by no means diminishing the great design and happy green), I just have a thing for ball fringe, always have. It evokes memories I guess. Surely your daughter will make great memories in this pretty room.

Miss Felicity said...

Looks amazing but what about the headboard? Is it a d-i-y project or purchased? Cause it looks fabulous!

Terry said...

Perfect, Perfect, Perfect in every way!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Gorgeous room Wendy! I love the headboard and the window seat. I'm sure she's lovin' it!

Mimi's Vintage Charm said...

What a beautiful room! Love what you have done...all the little details add such great character.

Catherine said...

I love it! I'm another one who loves the fabric choices - I'm working on my own daughters room at the moment, so you've given me a few ideas! Thanks!

Stacey said...

I don't know if you are linking this to any parties, but I would love for you to bring this to mine! Impressive work - wow. I am in the midst of a transformation of my daughter's bedroom as we speak and I am afraid it's gonna be awhile. So exciting to be done! Great job!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Kendall said...

What a lovely room you have created! Great job!

Bettyann said...

love the princess new room...love your choice of fabric..gives the design a very polished look. thanks for sharing

modern jane said...

So sweet! She must love having a window seat! I love the white walls with the pops of color.. my kind of space! :)

Stacy said...

So sweet! I love it! What a lucky little girl :)

lafamigliadesignllc said...

Love the not so typical colors you chose and subtle yet fun use of the theme. The Barbie Calendar wall art...so cool. Lucky princess. Monica

Kimbo Bimbo said...

I love those prints above the bed! They are awesome!

Amy Fountain said...

Great room make-over! Love the headboard and the wall frames above it!

The DIY Show Off said...

Beautiful space for your princess! I love everything - the fabrics, the prints, that headboard! Great job! ;)

Melissa said...

What a fun big girl room! I love the photos above the bed, so vintage and fun and girly!! Great job!

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

So grown up but not too much so. Love it. Love the pillows and those cute sconces. I think I need to drive 3 hours to IKEA to get some.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

How beautiful! I adore your pillow touches and these are sooo sweet! LOVE the splashes of colour!

Donna

Holly said...

How pretty! The decor of this room will grow with your daughter for years to come. I love it!

Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style said...

How lovely! And those prints over the bed are very cute too!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

The pompoms and the headboard are doing me in, so amazing! I'm heading over to see how you made that button art, I could use something like that for my princess.

Missy said...

It looks so, so good!

Tammy said...

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to read/see your post. Your daughter's bedroom is PRECIOUS!
I am teaching a decorating class to high school girls and their aim is to re-do their bedrooms. This post will be definitely shared with them for inspiration and ideas!!
Sweet Dreams to the Princess!

Tanya Anurag said...

Superrrb... One lucky girl your daughter is!!

decoguy said...

this is a great room! i love how it turned out, this is great for young girls who love fashion. where did you get the wall lamp/chandeliers?