3.19.2012

Easy Ways to Customize Store-Bought Curtains (and Bedskirts)~

Thank you all for the lovely comments about The Princess' Bedroom Makeover. It was such a fun room to work on!


I've already shared a bunch of tutorials for the difference projects we tackled for her room including:

How to make an upholstered headboard
How to update an upholstered window seat
How to make a button monogram
How to create your own fabric using Spoonflower.com
How we created Barbie Fashion Sketch art
How to make "melted" fabric flowers

Whew! That's a long list.  I promise that I'm going to update my tutorials page very soon, and you'll be able to find all of these there.  And today, I am going to add a couple of more (super simple) tutorials to this list.


I don't know about you, but I don't like my home to look exactly like my neighbor's house.  Thing is, I don't necessarily have the funds to have everything custom made, nor do I have the time to custom make everything myself.  So today I wanted to share with you all one of my tricks....making store-bought items look custom.

The two ideas I'm going to share with you today are super simple and basically anyone can do them!  Yes, one does involve sewing....but it's nothing more than a straight line...so no worries if you're not a seamstress!!

First  up...customizing curtains.

Here's what you'll need:



1. Store-bought curtains
2. Trim of choice.  I chose pom-pom fringe for these curtains because it's sassy and whimsical and perfect for a girl's room.  But you could use anything from ribbon, to bullion fringe to crystal fringe...as long as it's meant for textile use, this method will work.
3. Pins and Scissors
4. Sewing machine and thread. Make sure the thread is the same color as the trim.
5. Diet Coke...okay, okay, you might not need Diet Coke to accomplish a project, but I do. ;-)

Here's how to do it:

1. After pressing your curtains, make sure and begin by folding the trim over the end of the edge where you will be adding the trim. 



2. Pin the trim along the edge of the curtain.  I use the hem as my guide to keep things straight.



3. Make sure you pin the rod pocket out of the way on the back of the curtain so that you don't sew it closed.  I *may* have learned this the hard way.



4. Sew the trim along the edge of the curtain removing the pins as you go.  Finish with the end tucked underneath just as you started and  make sure to double stitch a bit at each end.

One more note..since you will likely be applying trim to two curtains...make sure that you sew the trim on the opposite side (left side on one, right side on the other) of each curtain so that it appears in the center of the window when you put the curtains up.  You don't want the trim on the same side of each curtain because only one curtain's trim will show in the center of the window.

THAT'S IT!  Now you have custom looking curtains for a fraction of the price!


And for a No-Sew way to customize a bedskirt.

Here's what you'll need:

1. A store-bought bedskirt.
2. A hot glue gun and glue sticks.
3. Trim of choice.

And here's what to do:

1. Press your bedskirt and use the hem as a guide for applying your trim in a straight line.


2. Working on one small section at a time, apply a line of hot glue along the hem.  I use a wavy line approximately the width of my trim (in this case grosgrain ribbon) so that the trim doesn't roll up along the sides.



3.  Apply your trim a long the hot glue.


When I get to the ends of the bedskirt, I just tuck the trim under and attach it with a dot of hot glue. (Note:  Please use caution when working with a hot glue gun as you can easily burn yourself...I *may* have learned that the hard way too...many times.  Lol!)

So there you have it...two super simple ways to customize store bought items!!  Getting a custom look really doesn't have to cost much!

xoxo
Wendy

3 comments:

{Adventuresindinner} said...

Ok, how much do I totally love that you don't have to sew these?!

The Rooster and The Hen said...

We LOVE embellishing/changing up curtains we purchase, such an easy way to spice things up! These are great tips, thank you!

Amy Fountain said...

Great way to spice things up!