2.09.2012

Ramblings About Switching Up the House~

It all started innocently enough.  Remember this post about home office inspiration?  Well, somewhere in the discussions about where we were going to put said office - we just couldn't come to terms with the idea of putting it in our bedroom - we decided that the best place to locate an office would be in our loft. 

This had been my initial inclination when we moved into this house.  But, the hubby suggested not long after we moved in, that the loft would be a good place for us to put the family TV and to have a play space for the kiddos.  I liked that idea too because we were able to avoid having toys etc. in the living room.  So the loft became a sort of den/play area.



The loft in its current state
 Which brings us back to the home office...and the fact that we're going to put it in the loft.  It's perfect really.  Except for the fact that we are going to have to find a place to put the TV.  And the only logical place for the TV is in the living room.  Of course.  The living room is the main family space in this house.  Where else would we put it?  There's only one problem with that.  The living room isn't set up for TV viewing.  Nope.  So the hubby and I got to talking and decided that the living room was going to have to be reworked just a bit. 




The living room in its current state
 We're thinking that a sectional makes more sense than the sofa and occasional chairs that are currently down there.  And what does that mean to the designer in me?  Well, with a sectional, we're still going to need chairs...perhaps I can use those occasional chairs after all.  Or maybe the leather chair that's already in the room.  Regardless we're going to need something to put that television on.  I'm thinking a console of some sort...under the photos on the gallery wall.


And what of the bookshelf?  Should it stay where it is?  If not, where should it go?  Perhaps in the office?  Oh, and maybe the occasional chairs could make their way up to the office as well.  Then I'd definitely have to either use the leather chair or replace those chairs with something just to balance the room.

Ha!  Do you see what I mean?  One little decision and suddenly I'm redecorating the entire house.  I mean it's true that I have a bit of an obsession with redecorating, but holy cow!

So tell me, does redoing one space in your house, lead you to redo others as well?  Please tell me I'm not alone!

xoxo
Wendy

14 comments:

Kendall said...

Wendy, you are definitely not alone! And PS: I am in LOVE with that chair in your living room- you know, the really comfortable one with it's own ottoman! I want to curl up with a blanket and a good book.. maybe a cup of coffee too! JEALOUS!
-kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com} <- come say hi!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

I love switching around the house, especially when it is the hubby's idea because then that is an excuse to hunt down furniture, re-paint, and re-style!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

I love switching around the house, especially when it is the hubby's idea because then that is an excuse to hunt down furniture, re-paint, and re-style!

{Adventuresindinner} said...

We've doubled the size of our house in the past year and we found rooms that weren't even supposed to be touched got a go over anyway. They just looked so grim compared to the new spaces :0)

Bliss said...

You asked the age old question that makes my husband get that "look" when I want to re do something. He knows it doesn't stop there!

~Bliss~

thewaffler.com said...

I know exactly what you mean!! It's the domino effect -- one small change necessitates another change, which means another and another. I'm a big waffler so this is maddening for me -- and is why I started my blog. I would love to feature you on The Waffler if you get stuck with one of these decisions. Readers love voting and giving feedback. Here's some more information: http://wp.me/P1ztuD-1Z

Xenia Nova said...

For me, when it comes to redecorating, I do one room at a time. But now that I'm going to build my own home, I think that would completely change! Should I do wallpapers or pain, or what about the floors?! Gosh... :)

Lauras Crafty Life said...

You are not alone. I do this when organizing as well. I start organizing one space, but need to move things around or relocate them, and then all of a sudden, I am reorganizing the entire house! :)

Liz said...

I'm having this dilemma in a sort of similar way ... but I have to say I'm trying to find a way to use my sectional and it is not easy. I love to rearrange, but once I put a TV on the wall it kind of has to stay permanent, and the sectional is not conducive to the two walls we have to choose from. So funny enough ... I'm going to wait to put up a TV until I have the exact furniture arrangement you already have lol! A couch and a few nice but casual easy chairs would be perfect in my space.

decoratewithalittlebit.com said...

Oh my gosh! I've been obsessed lately with 'switching up the house'! I love it and yes, one thing for sure leads to another!! Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

Abbie said...

Nope, definitely not alone, Wendy. I get to thinking taking something from one room and putting it in another, and before I know it, I've robbed a room blind and "need" to fix the first one back up again. It's a sickness! : )

Revi said...

Girlfriend, you are NOT alone. I am SO there! :)
-Revi

Sherri said...

It's a chronic thing at our house :) The last big switcheroo was precipitated by a new tv and I think we are all happy with the results!

Laura said...

I commented to my mom the other day that moving one thing was like reading the Old Testament (in the King James Version). "And so-and-so beget so-and-so who beget so-and-so..." You can't move just one thing! I once was going to hang a small shelf on the wall, and when I was done, I had rearranged most of the house and the shelf was not hung! And it sounds like great fun for you!