2.13.2012

One More Valentine DIY - Ombre Button Hearts~

I usually make a few Valentine's projects every year.  But this year, I just didn't have it in me.  At least I thought I didn't until I created the button monogram for the Princess' bedroom.

Then I had an idea.

I have a collection of vintage buttons that I took from inherited from my mom. And I thought it would be fun to create a pretty Valentine heart using the same method I used to create monogram. The only problem was that once I pulled out the buttons, I didn't have enough of any one shade to create the size heart I wanted to make.


So I thinked, and I thanked and I thunked.  (And yes, those are technical terms).  And I realized that my collection of buttons was graduated in color.  So I decided to follow the Ombre trend that is so popular right now, and create three hearts in graduating tones.


It was super easy to make.  I just created a heart template (so that each heart would be the same size), measured where I wanted them to go on my canvas, and then traced them on.  After that, I followed the same steps that I outlined here.


I love how it turned out! And the colors are subtle enough to use year round if I want to.   But for now, we'll celebrate Valentine's Day....Ombre style. ;-)

Have a great day~

16 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ooh these are SO cute!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

So sweet! Happy (early) Valentines Day!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

This is so elegant. I'm not really into the red hearts of valentines, but I could live with this!
Cheers Fiona
www.lilyfieldlife.blogspot.com

Little Love said...

Very cool. I love those lampshades! Did you make those too?

janet said...

That came out so nice with the vintage buttons and I love the lampshades..

Kimberly said...

It's all lovely! Those lampshades are gorgeous!! Thank you for inspiration <3

www.countrykeeper.blogspot.com

Mdegraeve said...

super cute :)

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Oooooh, so creative! Love it!!

Kendall said...

So cute! I have a ton of buttons I could use to make this! Thanks for sharing!

-kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

Kara said...

Love this Wendy! Such a great idea. I'm gonna have to raid my button stash!

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...

Wendy--I think this is adorable! Now I want one. I don't have nearly enough buttons. Boo.

frugal-interior-design said...

Ombre is "IN"! Love the repurposing of buttons for this art piece! So clever!

Design!Style!Beauty! said...

These are gorgeous - perfect for Valentine's but I'd display them all year round!

Lori said...

I'm lovin these button hearts. Of course I am still in love with your lamps too. Lori

Meeha Meeha said...

I love that it's a simple idea with a great "wow" effect. I also love the shades you chose - perfectly coordinated with the ruffled lamp shades!

THE COOK'S said...

I'm a new follower! I love your button canvas project! So simple but really cute! :)