2.01.2012

Create Your Own Button Monogram~

I was looking for something to put up in the Princess' bedroom when I happened upon a nursery in my blog wanderings that gave me a great idea.  A button monogram.

I figured it would be simple to create because it reminded me of this button wreath that I created a few years back.  You can find the instructions on how to make this cute wreath here


And here's my version of the Button Monogram.


The monogram was a snap to make, and although it looks time consuming, it actually only took about an hour.  Here's what I did.

You will need:

A pre-primed canvas (mine is a 16x20 which I purchased at Hobby Lobby using a 50% off coupon)
A hot glue gun and hot glue
Pencil
Ruler
Buttons of varying sizes (I purchased mine at Walmart - same kind as they carry in the craft stores - much less expensive)

Now I'm going to apologize for the photos of my process - the light was low, and they're super grainy, but you get the idea, right?

1. Draw your letter on your canvas using a pencil.  I was working with the letter E, so I simply created my own with a ruler.  It was very simple.  If you're using a curvy letter, I would suggest printing one out on your computer and using it as a template to trace onto your canvas.  NOTE:  Make sure that the letter you draw is only about an inch and a half thick otherwise you will be using a crazy amount of buttons.


2. Begin by gluing the larger buttons on your letter.  (yes, I started out gluing them on - it will look just as good - or better - than trying to arrange them first.)


3.  Then continue filling in the base layer using smaller buttons.  Try to get as close to the edges of your letter as you can without going over them.  This will create a clean "line" when you are finished.

4.  Continue layering the buttons on top of one another to eliminate any white spaces from showing between them.  Finish with the smallest sized buttons on top. 

5. Display!



I love the finished project, and the Princess is over the moon about it!  Let me know if you try this project...I'd love to see the finished results.

Have a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Create With Me said...

Button monograms are so in right now! And they are so pretty! Thank you for sharing this tutorial. Best, My

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

So cute! I wish I had kids so I could do something like this!

{Adventuresindinner} said...

Very cute! I'd love one of these for small one's room :-)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wendy, i love this! i love how you layered it so the overall look has clean lines. very nice!

Molly @thewaffler said...

AWESOME! I'm totally doing this for my daughter's room.

Designology Interiors said...

Adorable... adding it to my list of crafty project for the weekend.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

So cute just like that little sweetheart sitting there!!

laxsupermom said...

Love this project! What a great injection of color! Thanks for sharing.

Shelly @A Creative Space said...

Very cute! Great colors. :)

Yby5 said...

I'm getting my buttons out of hiding...thanks for sharing something different to do with them. Love it!!

cathhasablog@gmail.com said...

So pretty and effective! Would make a great gift too!
Cath @ Home is Where my Heart is: http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/

pinkertonjamesl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.