Some Miscellaneous Stuff (including how I lost 15 pounds)~

Happy Thursday everybody! 

Yesterday was a crazy, crazy day.  I am in the middle of some very exciting stuff here around The Shabby Nest (that I'll tell you all about very soon), and yesterday was a big day. I don't know about you, but it seems like Murphy's Law was written just for me.  So the fact that I was trying to accomplish something big meant that I was sure to run into problems.

While in the middle of our project, my laptop told me the battery was low, so I went to get the cord and plug it in.  The only problem was that the cord wouldn't go into the port.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was until the hubby looked into the port and announced that a piece was missing.  Yep.  Missing.  So I took  my poor, pink laptop to the computer hospital where the nice young man (who was very amused by the fact that my laptop is, indeed, pink) explained to me that it would take 7-10 days to fix the problem.  Grrrr.

So, now, my laptop is being repaired and I have no access to any of my files or photos...and unfortunately, it is the only computer in our home that has my camera software installed so I can't use my big-girl camera for the next week and a half either.

Source: imgfave.com via Wendy on Pinterest

Thankfully, despite the snafu, I was able to finish my important project - it just took about three times as long as it should have...and you all might have to suffer with cell phone photos on the blog for the next little bit. Lol!

But the fun little project I had hoped to share today didn't get accomplished in time...there's always next week, right?

Now on to something that is  waaaay off topic for my blog.  After yesterday's post, I had several comments and emails asking how I lost my weight, so I thought I'd tell you all a bit about it.  I want to start by saying that I am not an expert on weight loss, and I'm not affiliated with (or paid by) any weight loss companies or exercise programs.  I'm just going to tell you what worked for me - in case it might inspire anyone who is trying to lose some weight (I know there's a bunch of those New Year's Resolutions floating around right now.) But please, seek medical advice for serious weight loss goals and above all, lose weight in a healthy way. 

First, I want to preface all this by saying that as a teen I had a very unhealthy relationship with food and a terrible body image even though I was very thin.  I don't want to struggle with those same issues now, so I have to approach weight loss very carefully. I need to approach it in a healthy way.

After the birth of my daughter, I used Weight Watchers to lose the weight.  And it worked great for  me.  I'm a bit of a control freak and I hate complicated diet plans, so Weight Watchers was right up my alley.  The journalling worked well for me, and the points were an easy way to understand how much I could eat per day.  And something about going to meetings to weigh in kept me accountable. So after the birth of my 2nd son, I did the same, and most of the weight came off...but 9 months after he was born I was expecting again.

I don't know if it was having two children so close together, or not, but when my last baby was born - 4 1/2 years ago - the weight didn't come off.  I tried Weight Watchers, but I guess I just wasn't as committed this time.  That is until September of last year.  At the end of September, I looked at myself and I didn't like it.  I weighed 25 pounds more than my goal weight.  I wasn't happy or comfortable with myself.  Because things have been tight for us financially the past year or so, I couldn't justify the  money to go to Weight Watchers, so I decided that it was all going to boil down to how bad I wanted to lose the weight, because I was going to have to do it on my own.

So here's what I did.  First, I knew that losing weight all on your own isn't really possible.  So I enlisted a weight loss buddy.  My little sis and best friend, Holly.  She lives in California, so we decided that each morning we would text each other with our current weight and words of encouragement for each other.  I know, some people say don't weigh yourself every day when you are trying to lose weight, but for us, it kept us on track. 

Next, I decided that I would still follow the Weight Watchers points plan, and I would journal every bite of food that went into my mouth.  And because I tend to eat a carb-heavy diet, I  made sure that every meal I ate included both carbs and protein.  Also, because I love treats, I made sure to allow enough points everyday for a small treat.  I didn't want to deprive myself entirely and end up eating my weight in icecream.

Finally, I exercised 6 days a week.  My exercises of choice...walking and Pilates.  Let me just say that I love Pilates!  I was first introduced to it when I worked for Ballet West  several years ago.  The dancers there took Pilates classes because it elongates and tones the muscles and is a great way to improve flexibility and strengthen the core.  Honestly, I see a bigger change faster with Pilates than with any other exercise I have ever done.  (I can actually see serious muscle tone developing on these abs that have carried four children.  Really.)

But, in the end, it all boils down to determination.  I WANTED to lose this weight.  And I admit, keeping it off during the holidays was really hard.  I gained back about three pounds which is now gone again...but it was a fight not to gain more.  And now that I'm getting a little older (I'll hit the big 4-0 this year. argh.) I know that it will be something that I have to work on constantly.  But I feel better, I look better and my clothes fit better.  And after my computer comes home from the computer doctor, I'll show you some before and after pics so you can see the difference for yourselves and not think that I am just telling tales.  Of course, I'm not where I want to be yet.  I still have about 10 pounds to go.  And that leads me to the last thing I want to share.  Losing weight and making changes in your body takes time. 

I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to share it....

It's true.  Don't get discouraged because you don't see changes right away.  You will....and so will everyone else.  Just keep at it!

I hope that my story will help someone somewhere with their weight loss battle.  You can do it!!!!      

Frugal Friday goes live today at 8:00 pm MST as usual.  See you there.


Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love that last image- it is so true. it takes time to really see the changes, but they are happening. rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was a healthy body and along with that a healthy self image. you look fabulous and i appreciate you sharing your thoughts- i have not tried pilates, but am thinking of it. :) it scares me. ;)

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

Congratulations on losing weight! I have a couple of friends that have lost a bunch of weight on Weight Watchers. It seems to be a great program and not difficult to follow. I was able to lose 25 pounds in 2011 without exercising on a lower carb diet. I was pretty amazed that I could lose weight because I'm 51 and have a problem with my thyroid. I actually feel better on a lower carb diet and will continue it as a way of eating.

Backwoods Cottage Pam said...

Thanks for this. You motivate me to get back to my Pilates workouts. I was faithful at one time and loved the results, why we fall back is a mystery but we do. So now to dig up my Pilates DVD and get back on track.

Linda said...

Great post. Over the last 20 years I have tried every weight loss plan known to man. I did try WW but found it wasn't for me, probably because it didn't need me to change eating habits as such - I could still eat whatever I wanted. So last year I joined Slimming World and lost one and a half stone. I think I've put all that back on over xmas though and am starting back there next year!

I have messed with the idea of logging all my food and reading your success I think I will put that into action.

Running is my form of exercise though I've let it lapse over the last couple of months. Walking iss good also but Pilates is something I've always wanted to do - I even have a Pilates machine unused.
Again I think your post has motivated me.
perhaps more of us should blog about weight loss journeys, maybe we'll inspire others.

adventuresindinner said...

Awesome, my computer is also pretty unhappy right now. Totally understand how you wanted to lose the weight (I had my baby at 40) but not slip back into negative habits. I had a bad time with body image and an eating disorder. I follow the 'if I am hungry I eat' diet now and work to listen to my body. Now to get back running :-)

Peggy Lee said...

Yay for you Wendy! I too have lost a bunch of weight. I always say it won't happen here, (pointing to my body) until it happens here, (pointing to my head).
Thanks for the inspiration!

janet said...

Way to go..Congrats..

Melissa said...

Way to Go!!! I am now down 24 lbs, with a total weight loss goal of 65 lbs. I will still be considered over weight by the governement, but what do they know? I am using Weight Watchers, and I love it. i just need to keep up with the exercise. That is definitely the key. Keep up the good work!!

catherine said...

WW is the best. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

WhoooHoooo! Congrats on the weight loss!

Jennifer L. Griffin said...

Thanks for your inspiration. I'm in your same boat! Did you do a pilates video or go to the gym? I've tried 1 but it was very aerobic and I didn't much like that. ;-) Is that normally a big part of pilates? I've heard great things about it and have wanted to try it, but have been wondering if there are different types.

laxsupermom said...

I never felt stronger than when I was doing pilates. I need to start going again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bama Girl said...

Congratulations on finding your own way to loose weight! That's what worked for me. I don't weigh myself so I don't know how much I've lost or my current weight. I just know that I've gone down a bra size and a couple of pant sizes and I love how I feel! I have to watch the not eating part because if I go without proper nourishment, I tend to get migraines easier. Walking is what I do and I've recently gone back to weights; working out at home. Keep up the good work! Blessings from Bama!

Junk Girl said...

Congrat's on losing weight! It's not easy. When I saw some pictures of myself at my aunt's funeral, I was like, HUH?! A friend had told me she cut down on carbs. I decided to try it. I don't mean completely cut out carbs, just cut down. I realized I was eating up to 6 pieces of toast/bread a day! Now I eat alot of meat, veggies and fruit. I also cut out all the snacking. It has worked for me. I only serve my family low-carb pasta now; thin crust pizza, etc. Dakota Growers Pasta is made here in our town of Carrington, ND. It cooks up better than regular pasta. Anyway, keep on going! The pictures taken at Christmas look more like the old me! Yah!


Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

Congrats!!! I needed this today... I've lost 20 pounds but need to lose about 25 more... thanks for that push! :)