1.17.2012

The One Where I Talk About Designing My Own Fabric~

Have you ever been in the situation where you are trying to design a room and you know exactly the fabric you need to complete a certain project, but the fabric doesn't actually exist?
I have found myself in this situation with the Princess' bedroom.  I knew exactly what I wanted.  I searched high and low.  I looked in multiple fabric stores, I searched all over the internet.  I can't believe it doesn't exist somewhere, but it doesn't.

So I decided to try out this website that I heard about early on in my blogging experience, put on my must-try list, but never actually got around to trying.  And at this point, I want to tell you all that I am not affiliated with this website nor are they compensating me in any way for this post.  I just want to tell you all about a great little tool for DIY decorators.   Spoonflower.com.  Love it.  At Spoonflower.com you can actually create and purchase your own fabric.  And there's no minimum yardage requirement.  Seriously.



So I set to work designing exactly the fabric I wanted for the Princess' bedroom.  But then, I admit, I got a little bit carried away.  It's so fun!  I designed a bunch of different fabrics...in a bunch of different colorways.  And then I had a dilemma, because I looooved them all.  So I picked my favorite two patterns for her room and had samples printed. And I love them both.  And she loves them both. And sheesh!  I could have at least pressed them before I took the photos, huh?


We actually decided, however, to reverse the colorway on one of them and use it. But, because I'm a tease, I'm not going to tell you which one. You'll just have to wait and see. I just know you're all on pins and needles now, right? Oh, and that orange one?  I have some fun plans for it as well!



The only problem is, now that I have discovered how easy it is to design fabric at Spoonflower, my mind is spinning with projects that I can design my own fabric for.   My to-do list is growing by the second. Lol!

Have a great day, my lovelies~

18 comments:

Brittany @natural-nester.blogspot.com said...

This is such a cool sight! thanks for sharing!

Creative Raisins said...

Okay that is pretty darn cool, I am heading over to check that out. Thanks for sharing

Jeanna Whittington said...

I have a new blog! Filled with everything Home Decor, Fashion, Beauty, Wedding INspiration and MORE. Stop by and join. I will be holding my 1st GIVEAWAY when I reach 100 FOLLOWERS. So JOIN!
http://barnyardchic.blogspot.com/

MyChampagneTaste said...

Oh wow...that is awesome..I will defintlry check that website first thing in the monring coz im sos leepy now ...I hope it is not expensive thu :)

Tilly's Nest said...

This is awesome! I am definitely going to try this:). Thank you.

Designology Interiors said...

Loove the orange lattice fabric. Great work. Spoonflower sounds like another great website to get hooked on!

Lesley said...

My life is forever changed! I'm not kidding. I am totally serious! I never knew about this website. I just spent about 30 minutes surfing around the designs already in their collections. WOW! Can I order quick enough??!! THANK YOU....I love this source!:)

Lesley said...

Okay. So I hate to acted like an insane woman. (not really, lol) I am so excited about this new find!!!! I just placed my first order AND I will be using this fabric on a cabinet redo that I have been blogging about. I haven't been able to start the redo, because I just couldn't find just the right fabric to jump start the project. THANKS again! I really appreciate it.

Ashley said...

How NEAT!! I'm definitely going to have to check this out for when I get around to recovering our wingback chair.

Thanks for sharing! :)

adventuresindinner said...

So clever! Just imagine the colour combinations that are possible. Thanks so much.

Jessica @ Plum Patchwork said...

Your fabrics are just gorgeous, and I love Spoonflower! I've met the husband and wife team behind it and they are just lovely people all around.

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

That's awesome! Are your fabrics available for purchase? I am looking for orange and white like what you pictured here.

Crafting Rebellion said...

That rocks, I must check this site out!
www.craftingrebellion.com

Dear Lillie said...

First - thank you so much for the incredibly thoughtful and sweet comment you left for me yesterday. It meant so much to me.

Second - ahhhhhh! Don't tell me about this. Now of course, I am going to want to head on over to their site and fall in love and have another addiction. And I am supposed to be working right now. Haha! Can't wait to see what you do with everything!

madameladauphine said...

Love it! I've been meaning to try that out myself. Now that I have your approval, I'm going to give it a shot!

Erin @ Two Story Cottage said...

I LOVE Spoonflower. Ashley @ Handmade Home got me hooked. :) :) Love your fabrics.

Abbie said...

This is super-fantastic!

I totally need to do this for a rug that I want to make!

Thanks for the inspiration (I especially love the one with the orange geometrics--super cool!).

Rachel @ SuiteRevival said...

Very cool fabric! I also love your homage to Friends! Weren't those just the best titles??