My 2012 Word of the Year~

I am a goal-oriented person.  I always have been.  Even as a child, I would sit down every New Year's Day and dutifully list my resolutions.  The list was always fairly exhaustive.  And not every goal was always achieved.  But in doing so, in creating that list, I also created a statement of the type of person that I wanted to become, and gave myself a snapshot of how I planned to get there.


When I started blogging a few years ago, being the goal-oriented, resolution-setter that I am, I was intrigued with the idea - floating around the blogosphere - of choosing a "word of the year".  A word that would basically encompass my goals and define what I was striving to do or become during the year.

Because I am so passionate in my belief that goal-setting is a powerful tool for creating success and happiness in one's life, I take the task of picking a "word of the year" very seriously.

For the past year and a half (since my hubby's horrific car accident) our little family has had its share of ups and downs, especially as we have struggled to get back on our feet - emotionally, financially and otherwise.  So this year, now that life has settled into what I feel is our new normal, I have high hopes and expectations of what I want each of us to accomplish.  And so I have chosen as my word for 2012...


I want each member of my family, but most especially myself, to put our whole-hearted effort into each and every worthy endeavor that we involve ourselves in this year.  I want us to challenge ourselves.  After all, we can do hard things.  And I want to be sure that we try new things, that we embrace the opportunities that come our way.

Our 2012 Motto
 More specifically,  I want to know that I have tried my hardest.  And in so doing, I hope to achieve a greater level of happiness and success this year. 

If you'd like, you can check out my previous words of the year  here (2009) and here (2011). (not sure why I didn't post it in 2010.)

What about you?  Do you have a word of the year?

The Lettered Cottage


Hayley @ On A Country Road said...

Your 2012 word is great! It has really got me thinking what our word should be for our family and I think it should be APPRECIATE. It is so easy to focus on the negative but appreciating what we have and who we are is a good goal for us I think. Thanks for getting me thinking!

Ginger said...


happyhetty said...

"waste not" I know it's two words but it covers everything I want to focus on. Time, money, energy, just everything.

My Beautiful World said...

Well said my friend. So nice to catch up again my friend, hope you have a wonderful day
Always Wendy

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Great word. Mine this year is focus! Thanks for sharing.

Shannon said...

My word for the year is "balance". I want to be able to balance all that is in my life that makes it full. :)


Lulu and Co. said...

Wonderful word Wendy! I wish you the very best in all that you set out to accomplish this year!!

Jessica said...

I love your word of the year! I also linked to the party as well. Its nice to do some soul searching and find a word that will help us along life's journeys :) Im new to the blog world, but feel free to stop by anytime!


Phredfamily said...

This is my second year with a word :D
This year's word is 'better.'
You can take a gander here: http://welcomedtempest.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-know-im-bit-late.html