1.24.2012

How to Make an Upholstered Headboard~

The Princess' bedroom in this house is a bit smaller than it was in our last one.  As a result, her antique wrought-iron bed just didn't work.  Rather than being disappointed by this, the Princess and I saw it as an opportunity.  And since we had to downsize from a full-sized bed to a twin, we decided that we should glam up her room by creating an upholstered headboard.

A few months ago, I shared a sneaky peek of the fabrics that we found to use in her room.


The polkadot fabric became her window seat.  And the other one?  Well it became her headboard.


It turned out beautifully.  And it was actually really easy to make.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make one of your own.

Here's what you'll need...

Plywood
Kraft Paper
Pencil
Scissors
Measuring Tape
Jigsaw
Quilt Batting
Fabric
Staple Gun

1. Start by cutting your plywood to the correct size (or having it cut at your local hardware/lumber store)  for the bed you are creating the headboard for.  Although beds have standard widths, the size can be somewhat subjective as far as how tall you would like the headboard.

2. After cutting the plywood to size, decide what shape you would like the headboard to be.  If you want a rectangular headboard, you're already there. ;-)  If you'd like to create a curvier version, here's what you do.
Create a template using kraft paper.  To make the shape symmetrical, try drawing one side first, then folding the kraft paper in half when you cut out your shape to create a template.
NOTE:  I simply freehanded my shape, and I did try a couple of different shapes before I found the one that was perfect for what I was looking for. 


3. Use your kraft paper template to trace the shape onto your plywood. (Big thanks to the Hubby who took care of the next couple of steps. What a guy!)


4. Use a jigsaw - or get someone who knows how to use one - to cut the shape out of the plywood. (If you look very closely you can see that the Hubby is, indeed, wearing protective eyewear.  Safety, first.  Always.)


5. At this point, we lightly sanded the edges to make them smooth, but you don't need to go overboard on this step.  Keep in mind that the wood wont be visible once the headboard is finished.

6. Now upholster the headboard following the instructions I posted for the Princess' window seat here.

One further note, because this headboard is curved, I clipped the fabric on the backside so that it would fit more smoothly as I stapled it around the curved sections.  In addition, because I wanted the back of the headboard to look finished, I covered the exposed plywood and the staples with a piece of muslin.

That's it.  A custom (and very pretty, if I do say so myself) headboard for the Princess' room


Disclaimer:  Please use caution and follow the included instructions when using machinery of any sort including jigsaws and stapleguns as injury may occur.

xoxo
Wendy

linking to:
Home Stories A2Z

28 comments:

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Beautiful...as always Wendy! Wish I had a girl room to decorate...don't think my boys will go for glam! :)

paige said...

LOVE!!!

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

It turned out beautiful! I love the colors and pattern on that fabric. Thanks for the tutorial!

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

Love your princess' curvy headboard. The colors in her room have all my favorite colors right now. Good Job!

Cherished Bliss said...

Oh I love that fabric! I have had it pinned for so long... thinking about reupholstering a chair in it! : )

Love the curvy headboard too!!

Andrea said...

I love the headboard and the fabric you chose! Gorgeous!

Mickey said...

I've been wanting to do this to a twin bed we have. What do you do to keep it up? Is it attached to wall or bed or just propped up? Thanks :)
mickey

Kimberly-mytoesareclaustrophobic said...

Super cute! I may have to give that a try. I am about to tackle one of my guest rooms and the headboard is one of the things that is up in the air. Did you attach it to the wall?

Lindsey said...

Fabulous fabric choices! Love the patterns and the color!

beeofdesign said...

Such a great tutorial. Love the patter of fabric. In the market for making one for myself

Samantha said...

I adore the fabric!! Looks great with the pillows too!

Heather Green said...

Everything about this is gorgeous!! The headboard, fabric, pillows, pictures. LOVE it!!!

janet said...

It's lovely..I love the fabric..

Lulu and Co. said...

Wendy, you are fantastic! I absolutely love it and the fabric is wonderful! Now I want to change one of my kiddos beds!!! Haaaaahaaaa I don't dare tell my hubby though!!!
Wishing you a great day,
Xo,
Lulu

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Ooh, fabulous, Wendy! Still love those framed pictures. . .

laxsupermom said...

Gorgeous! I love that fabric! The bed and room look incredible! Thanks for sharing.

adventuresindinner said...

So pretty! I love that chartreuse-I'm a sucker for great colour :-)

Elena @ La Petite Vie said...

Wow, this is beyond AMAZING!!! Love your talent!

Rhonda@restoredtreasurestoo said...

Thank you for posting the tutorial on the headboard! My daughter has been wanting me to make one for her for awhile now! I think we can do this!! Beautiful!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

So cute! Thanks for the tutorial! We are debating whether or not to make an upholstered headboard or buy a wrought iron one...

Abbie said...

Wendy, it turned SO fabulous! I absolute LOVE the patterns you chose and the pretty shape. Your princess is one lucky little lady! : )

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

Lori said...

Hi Wendy! I love your girl's headboard. What great fabric!
What I'm really loving too are those set of 6 fashion prints. Any scoop on where you picked those up? Been looking for something like that for my daughter's room. thanks!
Lori woolflaxblog@yahoo.com

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

You chose a pretty shape, Wendy. It looks so glam and I'd love the fabrics for myself!

Moe said...

Love the headboard thanks for tutorial.
Can you tell about those pictures that are hanging above the bed? I just adore them.
Thank you

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Wow, that turned out beautifully. I have been planning this same project for a while but I"m kind of scared to get started. Maybe your inspiring bed will motivate me:)

Elladaya said...

Love the look! How did you attach it to the wall, or is it attached to the bed frame?

Anna Williams said...

I have made a few upholstered headboards now and love how easy it is to do once you learn how. So many options with shapes and fabrics! I love the fabric you've chosen - and with those gorgeous gold framed prints - it's perfect! Your princess is very lucky :)

Anna (My Design Ethos)

Connie said...

You have some amazing ideas! love your blog; would you consider linking up with me at Wow Us Wednesday?