1.19.2012

An Addition to the Boys' Room: Acrylic Bookshelves~

I'm a tweaker.  I admit it.  I just can't leave a room well enough alone.  And with that intro, we turn to the boys' bedroom.  If you recall from the bedroom reveal, the bunkbeds looked like this.


I liked them...but something bothered me.  That  big white wall behind the bunkbeds, perhaps?  But my dilemma was what to do about it.  And then the idea hit me one day during my wanderings on the interwebs. Bookshelves.  But, obviously, since they would be near the beds (near the beds, but not over the boys' heads, obviously), I couldn't use traditional bookshelves, and I couldn't use bookshelves where the books would likely fall out (because even though they wouldn't be over the boys' heads, safety always comes first).  And so I landed on the idea of acrylic bookshelves.  And after searching a bit, I actually found these acrylic card display units - you know like they use in boutiques - that I knew would work perfectly.

Source

They are compact in profile, and they have the nice high lip on the outside to hold the books securely in place.  And now, not only does the wall have built-in - and changeable - "art", the boys also have easy access to books for bedtime (or anytime, really) reading! 




A perfect solution.  Love it!

And speaking of love, The Hubby and I have been married 16 years today! Happy 16th Anniversary Babe!  Mwah!! XOXO!! Etc. Etc. Etc.

THEN

AND NOW
Have a great day, y'all!

22 comments:

Barb @ GritsandGlamour said...

LOVE this idea. What a great idea with a lot of uses actually. I might have to steal, I mean borrow this idea. :)

Happy Anniversary. You guys make such a lovely couple. Blessings, Barb

MoneySavingEnthusiast said...

You solved a major problem that I've had in my kids rooms. Regular shelves are too bulky! These are perfect.

Karla Medina said...

Happy Anniversary. :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Super solution-- I love that the "art" will be perpetually changing. Very creative!
Happy Anniversary to you both. :)

Christina A said...

This is a really great idea! Beautiful couple you make too! Happy Anniv! :)

Melissa said...

Great idea! My boys have bunkbeds too and I am constantly finding books between the wall and under the bed!

Terrie Mathison said...

Congratulations on 16 years!! What a blessing!

Thanks for the shelf idea! Both of my boys read before bed and the books get piled in a corner and sometime down behind the bed. This is perfect for them. My older son, the organizer, like me, will love it too!

Have a great day!

Hetal said...

Congratulations on 16 years! My husband and I completed 15 years today. Happy Anniversary!

adventuresindinner said...

Hope you two are doing something wonderful together today. :-)

cottonreel said...

congratulations

Ashley said...

Happy anniversary!

I love those acrylic shelves...they would come in handy when I get around to doing my office/sparebedroom/craft room!

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...

Congrats and Happy Anniversary! My hubbs and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on Valentines Day! Isn't it amazing to have your soul mate and best friend by your side?

Sandy said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the see through book shelves! Great idea.

Lulu and Co. said...

HappyAnniversary!!!! The shelves look great! I could definitely use those in my kids room,
xo,
Lulu

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love those! i am trying to come up with book solution for emmy's room and those would work!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ps- happy anniversary!!!!

Good Time Charlie said...

Those are a great solution!! I never can seem to find the right storage solution my kid's books.

Happy anniversary!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Happy Anniversary - I celebrated 16 years in October! Love the acrylic shelves.
Kelly

janet said...

The shelves look grear..
HaPpY AnNiVeRsArY..

Terry said...

Ah, Happy 16th! I have been blissfully married almost 18 so I know what you are feeling.

Abbie said...

Love your simple book-shelf solution!

And love that you're still in love after 16 years.

Congratulations, Wendy! : )

Tyree said...

where did you find the shelves??
and congrats