12.22.2011

A Last Minute DIY Christmas Gift Idea: Fly Away Bookmarks~

Okay, seriously folks.  What did we do before Pinterest?  I may have a bit of a Pinterest obsession going on.  But, in my defense, it's just so chock full of good ideas all the time.  And pretty pictures too.  I love pretty pictures. 

Anyhoo, as I was browsing Pinterest a while back, I ran across this clever idea.



And I thought to myself, "Self, those would make great DIY Christmas gifts for the kiddos to make."  And, so a couple of days ago, that's just what we did. (Well, let's be honest, I did the making, but the kids looked cute and that's what matters.)


I must say the hardest part of this entire project was getting my boys to pose for the photos.  The Princess was a breeze..the boys...well, let's just say it was a bit...er...challenging. 

So here's what you'll need to make your own "fly away" bookmarks.


  • Photos of your kiddos (or yourself, or whomever) looking like their holding a balloon
  • Construction Paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue Stick
  • Embroidery Floss or String
  • Clear Contact Paper

How to make 'em.

1. Cut out each person from the photos.  Make sure not to leave much background.
2. Cut a tiny slit where the hands are so that you can slip the embroidery floss through.  (I actually used a craft knife to do this - If you are doing this with kiddos, don't let children use a craft knife...this is a step for adults only.)
3. Cut out a balloon shape from construction paper.  I actually cut 2 identical balloon shapes for each bookmark so that each has a front and back.
4.  Slip end of embroidery floss or string from the back of the photo through the slit you created near the hands of your photo...leave just a bit dangling in front to look as though the person is holding the balloon.

5. Glue the construction paper balloon to the other end of the embroidery floss, top with second balloon.

6. Now comes the fun part, laminating them.  I was taught this trick a long time ago.  Laminating can get quite expensive.  So buy yourself a roll of clear contact paper and use it to "laminate".  Cut a piece roughly to size of what you are going to "laminate".  I like to lay my photos face down on the adhesive part of the contact paper, and then fold over the remainder to cover the back (I am able to avoid any creases on the front of the piece this way.)  I then use a credit card (or such) to smooth out any bubbles and to seal the "lamination" around the edges.  Do the same with the balloon.  Then simply cut around the edge one more time to remove excess contact paper.


And you're done!  Cute.  Personalized.  Easy DIY...and just in time for Christmas!


Frugal Friday goes live tonight at 8:00 pm MST.

Have a great day~

11 comments:

Dragonfly Treasure said...

I Love them!! So cool! Will be keeping this in mind...well, maybe not in my mind but in my pinterest ;)
*hugs*deb

Peggy said...

I love these! Now I wonder if I can get the guys to pose for me??? Hmph teenagers! Mmmm maybe I'll bribe them with homemade pizza for dinner tonight and then remind them we are going to see the new Mission Impossible movie...

Once again thanks for a great idea!

adventuresindinner said...

Is it wrong to be happy to refer to yourself as a Pinhead? :-)

Love it.

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Super cute - what a fun idea and so personalized too. Would be great for the grandparents as well.

Crafting Rebellion said...

Love these! Now I am pinning yours :)
www.craftingrebellion.com

ReMadeSimple Kristina said...

What a cute idea

janet said...

These are adorable..Love them..
Have a Blessed Christmas..

artclubblog said...

These bookmarks are just hilarious! Can't wait to make them.

Etcetorize said...

Love love love these! Such a great idea. This is definitely going in my "to make" file and I am actually going to make them~

vickya said...

Very good interest to read. By Regards Wholesale Printing And Cheap Postcards

Crafting Rebellion said...

Featured these on my site today, such a clever idea!
www.craftingrebellion.com