11.17.2011

Little Comforts that Make the Holiday Season Special for Me~



This post is sponsored by Tempur-Pedic, the brand millions of owners trust to deliver their best night’s sleep every night. Enjoy our Buy 2, get 1 free pillow offer now and give the gift of custom comfort to someone you love.

With only a week until Thanksgiving, the holiday season is truly upon us. And it is absolutely, hands-down, my favorite time of the year.  I absolutely love almost every minute from mid-November until New Year's Day.  And the things that make it such a special time of the year for me are all of the little traditions that our family has to celebrate the season.  Each and every tradition is a little comfort that makes the season memorable and helps my family bond with one another.

Starting at the beginning of November, I set a Gratitude Journal and pen out on the kitchen table. 

And throughout the month, each member of the family takes time to write things they are thankful for within its pages.  Even my littlest guy finds a way to express his gratitude with pictures.  The Journal is a wonderful tradition for a number of reasons.  Not the least of which is the fact that it helps my family focus on all of the blessings in our life, and that it creates a lasting snapshot of a special moment in time.



Another of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions is the Thankful Tree.  A few branches propped in a planter become a wonderful way for our family to express thankfulness as we write things we are grateful for on paper leaves and hang them from the twigs.


Once that Thanksgiving turkey is gobbled up (yes, pun intended), the Christmas season officially begins.  And with it, all of those traditions that are truly the little comforts of the season as they remind me of my own childhood and create magical memories for my kiddos.

During the season, I make sure there is always a cozy quilt (or two) handy for family members to snuggle in while we enjoy steaming cups of hot chocolate.  Holiday music plays almost constantly, and you're likely to find a scented candle burning to make the whole house smell deliciously like Christmas.


A basket filled with children's Christmas books sits out during the entire month, and each day the kiddos and I snuggle together and enjoy one of the stories.



Each and every tradition brings my family closer together, helps us celebrate the season, and fills our home with the little comforts of the holidays.

How about you?  What are your little holiday comforts? What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

Comfort is the perfect gift for everyone on your holiday gift list, so be sure to take advantage of Tempur-Pedic's Buy 2, get 1 free pillow offer! I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective.

3 comments:

paige said...

i love all the thoughtful things you do for the holidays :)

adventuresindinner said...

Love your idea of a gratitude journal.

We're just getting some traditions going with our wee one. I'll pull out her Christmas books this weekend. Some go to the babysitter and some stay home.

We're going to start making something for Grandma each year and I've got my Christmas cake made and am dutifully feeding it brandy each day :-)

Emily said...

1) Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade together as a family as we cook the Thanksgiving meal
2) Decorating the Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving, with Christmas music, hot chocolate and fresh-baked cookies.
3) Opening our Christmas P.J.'s on Christmas Eve and wearing them to bed that night
4) Attending Christmas Eve mass