9.07.2011

Updating a Window Seat - a DIY project~

I have always wanted a window seat.  I even talked my dad into building me a window bench when I was a girl, so that I could have one.  So you can imagine that I was very excited when we first saw this house and discovered that the Princess' bedroom included a built-in window seat! 


WINDOW SEAT BEFORE


Trouble is, the pink plaid fabric that was on the window seat cushion didn't exactly go with the color scheme we had in mind.  But, no worries...recovering the cushion was an easy and inexpensive fix. 

Here's what I did...

Luckily, the homeowners who built the windowseat, made the cushion easily removable...so reupholstering it was a breeze.  I just took the whole cushion downstairs to my dining room work area.  I turned it upside down, and removed the existing fabric. 



I then took the insides of the cushion and placed them upside down on my new fabric. (You might recognize this fabric from the sneaky peek I gave you the other day.)  You can see from this photo that the cushion is made up of some plywood cut to size, topped with a layer of foam.  For further softness, I would suggest covering the foam with a layer of quilt batting, but I decided to simply recovering the existing cushion as is. 




The rest is very easy.  Start with one side of the fabric, pull it around to the back and staple with a staple gun.  Continue down the length of the cushion, stapling every few inches.  Then continue with the opposite side, making sure to pull the fabric taut.



Now comes the only tricky part of the whole project - the corners.  I've found that the best way to tackle corners is to make good old fashioned hospital-style corners.  (And don't be afraid to use a fair amount of staples to make your corners smooth.)   And this paragraph wins the award for most times using the word "corners" in a diy tutorial.



That's it!! A brand new look for a window seat in about 10 minutes!



The Princess' room still has a ways to go...a fun new wall treatment - and new paint to go with that , different accent pillows, window treatments, a new headboard etc.  But at least I can check one thing off my list!

Have a great day~

9 comments:

adventuresindinner said...

Great, quick update. So practical-can't wait to see the finished project.

Kara said...

Love that polka dot fabric you used!

Suzy-Q said...

I love that fabric! It looks fantastic!

Prissyville said...

I like this pattern a bit better! Pretty pillow combo, which mixes well with the new pattern choice!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

Perfect, Love how simple this is with a great result! Janell

laxsupermom said...

Love quick & easy updates! It looks terrific! Thanks for sharing.

janet said...

I love it and the fabric is great..
Janet

Patty O. said...

This is so cute, but have one question: How do you clean it? I did a similar recovering of a window seat in my family room, but it was a really big seat. This was a couple years ago and now the fabric is really dirty and stained. I tried spot treating it, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? Should I remove all the fabric and wash it, then restaple it?

A Sense of Design said...

Thank you! I have been putting off making a cushion for my daughters new window seat because I didn't want to fuss with zips etc....this is such an easy way to do it, I can get on to it straight away...what a god send!!!!!