9.22.2011

A Dresser For The Boys' Room~

Well, we're one step closer to finishing the boys' bedroom.  Because yesterday I was able to put the final touches on a dresser we redid for Boy #1.

The dresser is very well made, and a good size.  The problem?  Well, let's just say this circa 1970's piece was both a little too feminine, and well, it was.....kind of....um....how do I put this nicely?   The finish was kind of....less than attractive.  (And the hubby, bless his heart, had already taken out all the drawers and started sanding the dresser, when I caught him and told him I had to take some BEFORE pics.)



After sanding off the strange shiny finish, the hubby took some of his woodworking tools...


 and removed the floral embellishments.



Then we sanded it some more and primed it.  And after the primer dried, I went to work painting it an awesome olive-y green.  Olive Moss by Benjamin Moore to be exact.


Once I got the dresser painted, I replaced the hardware - which had a "lovely" brassy floral look to it - with clean brushed nickle knobs.  And here she is in all of her finished glory. 


Lovin' it!  And it will add a great punch of color to the boys' room.  Getting close to finishing...can't wait to show you the whole room!  only a couple of projects left...pinky promise.

Linking to Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick!

19 comments:

Farah Muzaffar said...

Great transformation... And the colour you choose to paint is such a class Wendy... it really looks great...
I am sharing a treasure of Hand Embroidery, hope you like to come and see some traditional motifs and stitches
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

M.R. said...

wow! this turned out great!

mindofmr.blogspot.com

Latoya @ The Scott's Crib said...

That color is very pretty! Can't wait to see it in your room:)

Vanessa said...

Love the dresser and the color is amazing!

Vanessa

Laura said...

Awesome color! It really pops!

michelleas said...

Awesome, and great inspiration. I have a dresser that I'm going to attempt to refinish, but if that goes awry it's nice to know that painting it will also look great!
I also LOVE the colour

Robin said...

It's much more boy like now. The color is very unique and amazing. I love it.

I can't believe hubby was able to that the floral carving off. I would be so scared to even try - -I'd be too worried I'm ruin the dresser! He must have nerves of steel!

Pamma said...

Great job and I love that color. Wrote it down since I have been looking for just the right 'olive' green. thanks for the tip. Fabulous!
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Shelley said...

Eeee!!!! What an awesome shade of green - I'm DIGGIN it :D

Katie said...

LOVE this green! It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest of the room!

adventuresindinner said...

Yummy, we just did a wall in that colour in the new addition. Now if only there was electricity there :)

Very much looking forward to the whole reveal. You guys have been just working your socks off.

Jenny said...

Love it!

MyChampagneTaste said...

I kinda liked that floral embellishment but it turned out amazing...never thought that the green woul dlook great on it

Rasha @ mychampagnetaste

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Very cool! I just completed a girly dresser and would love to try a boy one too :)

Gloria said...

That green is so intriguing and I love the placement of the knobs!.

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

love the dresser, what a great color!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I love the color, Wendy. It's such great inspiration as I am thinking about painting my daughter's furniture in a color like that. Heck, I'm okay if it's exactly like that!

Jon and Reans said...

Looks great, what color paint did you use?

studio1404 said...

That color is AMAZING!!! You have such great taste! And what a transformation from feminine to masculine!