9.13.2011

DIY: Mod Podge and Wooden Letters~

Remember way back when I showed you the inspiration board I had created for my boys' room?


Yeah, well, the room has gone in a TOTALLY different direction.  Enter Boy 1, my 11-year-old, who said it was all great until we actually started shopping.  Then the white beds became espresso brown, and the blue and white bedding became a linen-y tan color.  I tell ya.  But it's all good... I just went in a different direction using this photo as my inspiration. (and thankfully, he loves it.)



via Houzz.com


I bet you can tell where the color inspiration came from for the wall I posted yesterday, huh?


My boys' newly striped wall
 Anyhoo, the one aspect of my first inspiration board which I did keep in the current design is the letter wall.  Only I'm doing a different take on it.  Unfortunately, you'll have to wait to see what I do, but today I wanted to share with you an inexpensive way to create a "custom" wooden letter.

How to Mod Podge a Wooden Letter...

What you'll need:

1. A wooden letter (well, that's a  no brainer, huh?)  They are readily available at most craft/hobby stores.  I purchased mine at Robert's.

2. Mod Podge  - I use the matte finish.

3. A craft brush to spread the Mod Podge.

4. A craft knife.

5. Scrapbook paper of your choice.

6. A sanding block, or fine grit sandpaper.

  • Start by tracing the letter you are going to use onto your scrapbook paper.  I like to trace mine onto the back of the paper (just make sure to reverse the letter.)

  • Cut out the letter with your craft knife.

  • Now spread a layer of mod podge onto your wooden letter, making sure to cover the entire letter.

  • Place the scrapbook paper letter on top of your wooden letter...line up carefully and press down firmly.  Smooth gently with  your hand.  Because of the weight of the scrapbook paper, I find that it is not really necessary to smooth out bubbles, but if you should notice any, you can smooth them out using the side of a credit card (or something like that.)

  • Now turn the letter over...you will notice that there is a bit of paper that is probably spilling over the edges.  Just use your craft knife to carefully cut away any of the excess paper.
  • Turn the letter back over and use your sanding block (or sandpaper) to gently sand the edges of the paper.  This gives the letter a nice finished appearance.

  • If you wish, you can now give your letter another coat of Mod Podge to seal it.  This is not necessary, but does give it a bit of extra protection.

VOILA!  You've got a custom wooden letter.  Hopefully, my letter wall will be ready to reveal next week...hopefully....

Until then, happy crafting!

12 comments:

adventuresindinner said...

Mod Podge-best invention ever!

ashley said...

I definitely want to try this! Thanks for the tutorial. My uncrafty self needs tutorials. :)

Much love,
Ashley

Lindsey said...

The letter looks great! and I love the striped wall!!

beeofdesign said...

Love the houndstooth! Love this trend that's going on.

janet said...

I love the letter you made..Can't wait to make some letters..Thanks..Have a great rest of the week..
Janet

Gwen said...

I have never tried Mod Podge. I just made a letter using cardboard, applique paper and fabric. With a little tweaking, I think It would be very similar to your wooden version. Pattern letters are da bom!

Amelia said...

I've been looking for a way to use wooden letters and this may be it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Ashleigh Nichole said...

I am loving the wooden letters super cute...

Marianne@Songbird said...

Super cute and customized and personalized it looks so much better than plain.
Can't wait for the big reveal of your boys room. The inspiration picture looks wonderful.

Not Martha said...

Very simple! Too bad those darn letters aren't as cheap as one would think! Is there another alternative to the wooden letters?

nickety nackety noo said...

very nice indeed! I think Michaels sells the letters for around a dollar each (I'm in Canada, not sure if Michaels is in the USA) - must try this for my kids!

bnfunky said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I never thought about sanding the edges to make it look a little cleaner! I will definitely do that when I Mod Podge a letter for the wreath I am trying out this weekend!