8.18.2011

Entry Way Dilemma~

The layout of the entryway in our new home is such that it actually connects the front door and the entry from the garage.  Because of that, I want to create a space that functions like a mudroom, but I want it to be quite attractive because it is the first thing that someone sees when entering the house.

I love this entry from Pottery Barn.  I love the gallery wall, the eclectic feel and the fact that it has a little bit of a rustic edge to it.  Functionally, it could really use some hooks for jackets (where would those go?) and somewhere for shoes, but the baskets would make great storage for the kiddos school papers etc.


Then there is this lovely mudroom that I found on Houzz.com.  Although I'm in love with the ladder, it would be an accident waiting to happen in my house with 4 kiddos (especially with my 2 little boys..oy!) and because we are renting this house, we couldn't do a built-in per se, but the hubby can easily recreate a similar look that we would be able to take with us when we  move.
Mud Room traditional laundry room
traditional laundry room design by minneapolis architect Charlie Simmons - Charlie & Co. Design

My feeling is that even though I love the eclectic-ness of the PB space, the functionality and clean lines of the other mudroom would probably work better in my house

What's your opinion?  Eclectic?  Traditional?  I'm interested to know.

Frugal Friday goes live tonight at 8 MST.

21 comments:

tessica said...

i say traditional! you could always mix it up by putting up a piece or two inside each cubby...maybe that reflects the occupant?

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I agree with you that the PB entry is beautiful...but I don't think it's particularly functional. Not really a lot of storage, especially "hidden" storage. The traditional one is also beautiful, but much more useable. You could incorporate some fun colors/textures/patterns with your baskets, and you can still hang stuff on the walls!

Welcome! said...

I think for an entry the traditional is beautiful................In my house the pottery barn would end of with everyones keys and stuff like that thrown on it. I live in a house full of the men type!
Lisa

Suzy-Q said...

I say combine the two. The PB is beautiful, but the other is a bit more functional. Take a little from both...

ScrupulousRecruiter said...

We are about to build this
http://ana-white.com/2010/12/entryway-mail-sort-and-charging-hutch

It's based off of a PB entryway hutch. You can customize either with a sorting station or not. We are modifying the sorting station to just have more cubby space for alllll our stuff.

Brittany said...

traditional!

birdie to be said...

I love both of these! I wish I had a room like that second picture in my house!

lynn said...

i just LOVE the second pic!!

laxsupermom said...

For an entryway, I vote function all the way. The first pic has lots of interest, but my kids do enough to add "interest," aka clutter, to a room. 2nd pic, definitely.

ReFresh ReStyle said...

Traditional with a little mix of PB for interest!

Cathy H said...

I'm with SuzyQ. Combine the two. Maybe only take the Houzz idea to the locker height then go ecclectic above.

Let the two percolate. You'll come up with the perfect solution!

Anna See said...

I vote FUNCTION! And it is so beautiful too! We walk right into our kitchen from the carport. Tempted to turn it into a mudroom and just eat out the rest of our lives! :)

Allie said...

second picture .... oh how i love it .... good luck

Kaleidoscope Eyes said...

Love the Traditional space. You can easily remedy the ladder predicament, with either a custom fold-up ladder, a "hidden" ladder (perhaps put some sliding doors on to cover a few cubbies), or a gorgeous vintage step stool.
I'm not a fan of PB, I much prefer all things hand crafted opposed to mass market, just my opinion.
Good luck! I'm sure whatever you decide it will be Fabulous!

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

I'm drooling over the ladder and all the storage possibilities. Drooling!

C. Michelle said...

love LOVE the last mudroom! Gorgeous...although I can see how the ladder can cause issues haha and the chandeliers really add that pop of character!

adventuresindinner said...

We're going for the PB version right now. We're about 1/4 of the way done. Hopefully in two weeks. Hopefully. I've got building fatigue.

Laura said...

Be still my heart! That mudroom is spectacular! I just need to carve out a large niche for it somewhere in my house.

sedwards said...

functional! i think the first one, where it looks very pretty, will be very hard to keep clean and organized. we have something like that and we still have shoes and jackets and mittens and hats piled up on the bench. i am a fan of storage that you can close a door on...too much openness it that one for me!

Home Again Vintage said...

Entryways get cluttered enough as it is (or at least mine does!). Traditional gives you a clean start. The PB version has a lot going on visually to begin with.

And boys & ladders...yikes!

Farwood said...

Love the built in look. To mix the two could you use old picture frames for the cabnet fronts? The you could even change out the pictures seasonally.
And you could mix up an assortment of drawer pulls for hangers...