6.14.2011

Why I Used to Think They Fly the Flag for Me~

Today is Flag Day.  A day where we, in the USA honor our flag.  Drive down any street in the country and you'll likely see a number of residents celebrating the flag today.  But when I was younger, I used to think that they were flying the flag for me.  Because Flag Day also happens to be my birthday.  Yep, today I celebrate another year under my belt.  Today I turn 39.  My last year as a 30-something.

I'd like to think that in those 39 years, I've gained a bit of wisdom here and there. 

So here are 39 bits of wisdom.  My gift to you on my 39th birthday...

1. Breathe.
2. Smile.
3. Believe that you have something great to offer.
4. Chase your dreams.
5. Tell your family you love them.
6. Treat your family like you love them.
7. Exercise makes you feel good.
8. Making your bed helps your whole house seem cleaner.
9. Don't dwell on the negative.
10. This too shall pass.
11. Be kind. 
12. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
13. Give compliments freely.
14. You only get to live each day once, do it right the first time.
15. Dressing up is good for you.
16. So is icecream.
17. Stop and smell the roses.
18. Listen to your children...even when you're busy.
19. Give credit where credit is due.
20. Stop at a lemonade stand.
21. Give anonymous service.
22. Always say thank you.
23. Work hard.
24. Play hard.
25. Dream big.
26. Never stifle a good instinct.
27. When you go out of the house without makeup, you will always run into someone.
28. Go barefoot whenever you can.
29. Hot baths are good for what ails you.
30. So is hot chocolate.
31. Dance to the music.
32. Sing.
33. Don't be afraid to try something new.
34. Failure often leads to later success.
35. You really are only as old as you feel.
36. You can do just about anything you set your mind to.
37. Be your best you, because someone is always looking to you as an example.
38. Nurture your creativity.
39. Celebrate the little things.

Thanks for visiting me here at The Shabby Nest!  You make my life a lot of fun!  Here's looking forward to another great year!

42 comments:

Laura @ LPC Interiors said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! Thanks for sharing the things you have learned. I really needed to read those today. Great picture of your sweet family! Enjoy your day!

Janet said...

Happy Birthday!!! :)

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Katie said...

That's so cute! We all had vivid little imaginations as kids! Happy birthday!

Suesan said...

Happy Birthday! Today is my oldest son's birthday, too. He's 22. I'm not quite sure how I have a 22-year old. I'm pretty sure I'm not much older than that myself. ;-)

Tanya said...

Have a fabulous Birthday, and many many more :)

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Happy Birthday Wendy!!! Love your bits of wisdom.

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

Happy Birthday Wendy :) I hope it's was a great one and it's a great year for you! Thank you for your words of wisdom... so so true! xoxo

The mum of all trades said...

happy birthday. i am taking on board all those little bits of wisdom.

Christina said...

Happy Birthday!!! 39 years young :) It's a good day...it's my wedding anniversary too :) Hope your day is blessed!!!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

You're very wise for someone so young! Happy Birthday!

I'm laughing about the line that says when you leave the house without makeup on, you'll see someone you know. Another mom from school and I bumped into each other at the grocery store on the weekend- neither of us had makeup on and for a few seconds we didn't recognize each other!

Joyce said...

Happy Birthday! Great wisdom - I think I may copy and put in my journal! ;-)

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! What a great picture of you and your family--beautiful!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday, and thanks for the great advice! #12 is my favorite - following it will completely how your interactions with everyone. Good stuff. :)

Megan said...

Happy Birthday! Today is McKinley's (ZZ) 4th birthday too!!! Hope to meet you someday at an Alpha-1 conference!!

Laura said...

I also like #27. I think it also extends to leaving the house without a bra (did I say bra?), because you think you are just going to pick up one of your kids, and it's late and you won't have to get out of the car! Have a blessed and peaceful birthday! May your family shower you with love, and may your moving boxes seem to disappear for today!

adventuresindinner said...

Have a Fabulous Birthday!

You're just a youngin' yet!

I'm 41 with a one year old and still have it in my head that I'm 19.

#27 is eerily true. That person that I will meet will usually be an old boyfriend or a crush :)

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Happy 39th! Your family is gorgeous.

Emily [On the V Side] said...

Happy Birthday to You!

Regina said...

Very well said... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

:)

Lorrie said...

Happy Birthday, Wendy! I hope you have a wonderful day. Your family is beautiful!

Make sure to have some ice cream - because it's good for you!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Have a Blessed Birthday with those you love! Your bits of wisdom are just too cute!!
Blessings!!

darcey said...

Happy Birthday Wendy....
I turned fifty a month ago and I want to let you know that your 39 year old words of wisdom will still apply when you're 50! Well done. Enjoy your day.
Darc
xxoo

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

Beautiful post! Happy Happy Birthday!!!
Jaime

claudia b said...

Happy birthday! I am 39 as well but only for a few more months :D

EAKaHouse said...

Happy Birthday!

Ratty Hugs said...

May your Special Day be glorious & exciting.
~C8>

Heather Mullin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I love everything about your post today! I love all of the things to do! So many times, we forget about these when we are in a hurry. I am going to make an extra effort to do them every day!

Blessings and many great years to come!

Heather

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Happy Birthday!! I'm trailing right behind you...36. Lots of wisdom you have learned in your 39 years. :)

Crystal

Julia Miller said...

Haha I love #27! So true! I ran into one of my former boyfriends the other day and even though I'm happily married I still felt embarrassed for some reason that I was unshowerd and in workout clothes. Oh well! :) Happy Birthday!

janet said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Janet

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday!

Rosa @ Flutter Flutter said...

Happy Birthday! I love your list. Lots of truth in there!! :)

Sherri said...

Happy Birthday! I leave the 30's behind in a week - thanks for the great reminders of the wisdom we gain with time!

Ria said...

Happy Birthday! It's my Dad's birthday too. He says the flags have been flying for him for 81 years.

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Happy Birthday Wendy!! I loved your 39 things. I can so relate to them.

Jean said...

Thank you for the reminder to appreciate every day. Happy Birthday!

LuLu said...

Happy birthday!!!! And thank you for your bits of wisdom....they are all words to live by!!!
Xo,
LuLu

Christina Klas said...

Happy belated birthday first off.... Second, I love this post. It’s beautiful... I hope that when I’m 39 I can say that I’ve used all 39 of these helpful hints. :)

Katherine said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry it's a bit late. Your words of wisdom are so true, and perhaps some of them I've been forgetting just lately. Thank you for reminding me. K x

Cristin said...

39 Happy birthday wishes/comments...perfect!
And here is one to grow on...

Wishing you your best year yet!

Annie said...

Thank you for the list! I really love Number 8, 12, 27, and 34.

Jeannie-JB said...

HaPpy BirThdAy!

40 is really a great age (especially when your 50 something). Your old enough to know who you are and young enough to go after everything you want out of life. You have a lovely family and I love the 40 bits of wisdom. Here's to another great year!