5.04.2011

A Well-Labeled Pantry~

This post is sponsored by Dymo.

Some time ago I got a bee in my bonnet.  My cupboard was a mish mash of cereal, pasta, baking supplies,  hot chocolate...you name it.  I couldn't take it any longer and I decided to get organized.  I grabbed some baskets and plastic bins, I purchased a few containers to put my baking supplies and cereals in.  And the pantry cupboard looked better.  No doubt about it. 

But when Dymo sent me their Plug and Play Label Maker to try out.  I knew exactly what I needed to do with it. 

You see, even though the cupboard was now nice and organized...there was a little issue with the baking supplies.  Turns out, powdered sugar, flour and granulated sugar can look very similar when they are placed in containers without labels. (Really, you say?  Bake much, Wendy, you say?)   Luckily, I never grabbed the wrong container - like say, powdered sugar when I needed flour...but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. 

So I pulled out that little Plug and Play Label Maker.  It was so easy to use, I couldn't believe it.  It has built in software, so all I had to do was plug it into my computer (it's PC AND Mac compatible). 


A window popped up for me to type in my label...there were a number of fonts to choose from...and even an option to add graphics from your computer.  (Below is a screen shot of the software window...)


I opted for simple labels...but I used Curlz for a font to give them a little bit of fun.  Then I just clicked the print icon and the label popped right out.  There's a button to push on the machine that cut the label for me.  That was it!  I got all the labels done for my baking supplies in a couple of minutes, but I was having so much fun that I made some for my cereal as well.

Mr. Three (my 4-year-old) came up while I was in the midst of my label-fest and wanted me to show him how the machine worked.  He giggled when he saw the label pop out, and wanted me to make labels for everything in the kitchen.  I was having so much fun with it, I just might have...but I decided I better save the label tape for some other  projects I have up my sleeve.

So here for you to admire is a collage photo of my well-labeled pantry.  It's a thing of beauty, no?

I just love getting organized, don't you?

Discaimer: Dymo provided me with their Plug and Play Label  Maker in exchange for this review, but the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

19 comments:

Vikki said...

o.m.g.!!! They've come a long way from the label makers of the past (remember those old ones that you would turn the dial to the appropriate letter and clamp it down into thick hard plastic tape that never stuck to annnnything!?); MAMA WANTS THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY! your pantry looks fan-freakin-fastic! Makes me wanna go raid the container store ;)

Nicole said...

I think I might need one of those. Not want, need!

leah mari said...

i love labels!!!

Jennifer said...

Here's what I want to see...someone who review's a product...THEY DON'T LIKE! Not likely. Here's what else I'd love to see...the teeny tiny disclaimer, listed at the TOP of the page, not the bottom. Then I would know if I want to keep reading.

Just my honest thoughts. Sorry.

Ava said...

Wendy , You've made Dymo kind of cool . It's now on my must have list xx Love your blog BTW !

Mrs Lemon said...

I have been known to tell my husband that clear containers and a label maker a happy momma makes - it's my love language :) looks great!

@Jennifer - I agree with you! However, I've written a few review posts in my day, and it kills me to try and write a product post in a way that doesn't *SEEM* like a product post. That's probably what Wendy was going for. But yes - I also prefer when I read someone else's product post that I know in advance. I'm so weird, I know.

Delightful Order said...

Yes! I too, LOVE getting organized! I also LOVE creating unique labels. Stop by and take a peek some time. I would LOVE to have you visit!
DaNita

adventuresindinner said...

I really need to bump "clean cupboards" up on my to do list now.

PicturePerfectPixies said...

Wow! They have come a long way. Mine is nothing like that....

Betsey said...

Where are the containers from? I love my label maker too!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Betsey...the containers are all from IKEA. Love them!!

yarnikins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yarnikins said...

well they should be giving you a commission cause i soooo gotta have that!!

Michelle "Chaos Caretaker" www.containchaos.com said...

I love that it is a USB attachment. How handy is that! Organizing makes me feel a little more in control. I wanted big labels to be obvious for the kiddos when organizing a linen closet. I used laminated scrapbook paper tags! http://www.containchaos.com/?p=388

The mum of all trades said...

oh my, I'm so jealous of that organised space!

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

Dont you just LOVE it???... I have the Label writer version which is my BFF of the label world that is for sure... so easy that it can make you wild with label love... but that is a good thing..no??

Maddie

Lisa, An American Mom said...

Very impressive! I was just thinking to myself tonight that I really need to organize my pantry. It is terrible.

P.S. Does your husband know you said he "giggles"? ha ha.

Robyn said...

While I have my exact same Ikea containers labeled with my Dymo label maker, my pantry is no where near as neat as yours!

Betsey said...

I thought the containers looked like Ikea! I'm headed there later this month!! :) Thank you Sweetie!