3.14.2011

Easy (and removable) Chalkboard Wall~

So as I've told you before, we are renting this house. And it's a great house. I have no complaints other than the fact that I can't paint the walls. (I even got up the nerve to ask the landlords when they agreed to let me paint the fireplace... no go. Fireplace - yes. Walls - no. Sigh.) Oh, and the fact that there are no doors on the closets. Closets are for hiding clutter...are ya with me on that one? But I digress. Back to painting walls.


I have been wanting a chalkboard wall in my office/mom cave ever since I saw Emily's office. Swoon! And I have been toying with ideas of different ways to have the look of an entire chalkboard wall without painting the wall itself. I didn't want it to be just a big chalkboard...I wanted it to be a wall.



I came up with some ideas that I thought were pretty good, but I was never convinced...until I saw this post at Craftberry Bush.

ADHESIVE VINYL CHALKBOARD BABY!!!

I looked all over trying to find the long rolls that she talks about in her post, and was finally able to locate them at Michael's Craft. So I bought 4 rolls...they're each approximately 20" across and 60" long. They don't reach from the ceiling to the floor, but since the desk was going to be sitting in front of them I figured there would be the illusion that they reached the floor.



I was literally able to put them up in about 10 minutes. And they stick GREAT! AND...the most important part for renters...they remove just as easily. I am seriously just about giddy. So much so, in fact, that I didn't even style the photos...I just took 'em to show you the wall.


So, just so we're all on the same page, I still need to accessorize the desk. But isn't that chalkboard fabulous??!!??




I'm going to say it again...ADHESIVE VINYL CHALKBOARD BABY!!


If you want a chalkboard wall...but don't want to paint...try it. You can thank me later. :-)

Have a great day~

30 comments:

Dayhomemama said...

That's brilliant. I found some at Dollarama, $1 for a sheet that's about 2ft by 3! I'm die cutting it, see what happens!!

melody-mae said...

oh my goodness. I am off to find some!

Ali Rockwell said...

I keep hearing about chalkboard adhesive and really want to find a place to use some of it, it's so cool! Looks awesome in front of your desk.

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Ooooohhhhh I am off to Michael's!! We are renters too but our landlord said we can paint, but the less I have to REpaint the better!! I love this!

Bethany said...

I wish they had that when I was younger...I clearly remember writing on my mother's painted walls with chalk--colored and white--in emulation of my teachers. I thought she was literally going to kill me when she discovered it but it wiped right off. This would have been the greatest thing ever in my little world :)

AntiqueChase said...

Awesome look! Total problem solver!!

Peggy said...

What brand does Michael's carry? Our closest Michaels is 65 miles away but we do have a Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's close by. HOwever I learned that hard way that not ALL adhesives are the same. Plus this will save me allow me to breathe! (paint fumes and I DO NOT get along....)

Thanks!

Keri said...

EKK...I'm giddy with excitement!!! Thanks SOOOO much for showing me this! We'll be renting for a while too and I've always had to dismiss having a door/wall/cupboard turned chalkboard.

A Prairie Girl in California said...

yep! i found some awesome stuff at Dollarama in Alberta while visiting my family! $1 later I have a roll of it;) yeah-a;) love it!!

Mom in High Heels said...

I like it!!!

alison said...

what fun...a perfect idea for my school room...thanks!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Debra said...

What a great idea. It looks fabulous.

Martina said...

That chalkboard is fabulous!! And I LOVE that lamp on your desk! Martina

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

I'll thank you now. Thank you! What a great solution for us renters.
Barb

Jenny said...

What a great idea! It looks fantastic and if you tire of it you can easily remove it. ;-)

Jenny McClain said...

Oh my Goodness! How awesome is that??!! LOVE IT!!

xoxo
jenny

Dawn (Bee and Rose) said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I've been looking for a way to add a chalkboard wall in my home classroom! This is brilliant!

janet said...

That is some slick stuff..I have never heard of this before..Clever..Looks very nice and easily removeable..

Anna said...

I love this terribly! I have been wanting a chalkboard wall in our paint forbidden apartment for forever. I saw the Craftberry Bush beauty, but haven't been able to find that product. Now I know to look at Michael's. Your office looks great and I'd be giddy too :o)

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

I love it, and I CAN paint my walls but I'm lazy, and I have a great little wall behind a massive desk just crying out for this.

So can I be the crass friend and wonder what chalkboard vinyl sets ya' back?

A Vintage Vine said...

Love it, great idea for all of us who may not want it to be permanent!

mybelleepoque said...

We used to have that on our walls when I was a child. I had forgotten about it. I think I will put some in the play room for sure and possibly in our dining room as well. :)

Robin said...

Love it! I say the rolls at Micheal too, actually had them in my cart - then I put them back because I didn't know what I would do with them. Now I'm think I need to get myself back to Micheals first thing tomorrow morning and pick some up!

Holly said...

I LOVE IT!!! Way to rock your office! :):) I think I will cut some to fit in the indentations of my girls closet door. Then I may not mind so mech when they write on it!! ;)

Hazel said...

Such a great option for home-renters! As a fellow renter, I'm definitely going to check out this option ASAP. Thanks for the insight!

Hazel
Managing Editor at FifthroomLiving

MeLi said...

Very Cool Wendy!. Living in a rental is sure a challenge when you're as creative as you are!, but this idea is totally fabulous for renters and owners alike! ^_^
Meli
http://domestiquette.blogspot.com/

Allie said...

And I became a fan on facebook, still trying to get to the blog!!!

Patty said...

I love it. Jotting it down on my wish list ;)

Hannah@TheStoneHouse said...

What a fabulous idea! I'm also renting a great house that's lacking some things... like a bathroom door.

Piorra Maison said...

I love this Idea. My son asked for black walls (no WAY) this is a great compromise. thanks for sharing and giving me the idea. Now if I could talk him out of having a motorcycle painted on his wall?????
Caroline