Thanks to the makers of Pine-Sol® for sponsoring my writing. Share your "scent story" here for the chance to win a trip to a Scentsational Destination sponsored by Pine-Sol®. One grand prize winner will receive a choice of four amazing trips. To learn more about the Scent Away Sweeptakes, visit here.
Whenever I have people visit my home I always hope that it smells good to them. My sense of smell isn't very strong, and I'm always concerned that my home might not smell fresh and clean and I just don't know it. So I take extra precautions to make sure that my guests are greeted with a pleasant smelling home when they come visit me.
And because I think pretty much everyone would like to have their home smell good, I've put together a list of my 5 go-to tips that I've gathered along the way to help potential trouble areas in your home smell clean and fresh.
1. The bathroom. An obvious spot for potential not-so-pleasant smells. I have a couple of tricks for this room. The first is to use a citrus scented spray. A citrus scent cuts through just about anything...so along those same lines, try keeping a citrus scented candle in the bathroom.
2. The garbage disposal. Got this tip straight from our plumber...throw some orange or other citrus rinds down the disposal periodically. The citrus smell will clear out any lingering odors.
3. Mattresses. Placing dryer sheets between your mattress and bedsheets goes a long way toward helping to eliminate unpleasant smells. And here's another fun little dryer sheet tip...use them to clean your baseboards...sounds funny, but they work well, and that laundry-fresh scent pervades your house!
4. The washing machine. If you have a front-load washing machine, you may have noticed that it starts smelling musty/mildew-y after a while. To help fix this problem: start by running an empty load using hot water and vinegar instead of detergent. Then make sure and leave the door open between washes so that the fresh air can help to reduce any new mildew build-up
5. The dishwasher. Dishwashers can start to smell musty...and dishwashers with a white interior are susceptible to brown stains inside. The trick to fix both the stains and the smell is to run your dishwasher while empty...and instead of using dishwasher detergent use orange drink powder. Pretty much any brand will do. Just make sure it's orange drink powder. No really, I promise it works. Stains eliminated. Musty smell gone.
So there you have it folks. 5 ways to help your home smell great! Your guests will thank you. ;-)
Don't forget to enter Pine-Sol®'s Scent Away Sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip to a Scentsational Destination. I was selected for this Pine-Sol® sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.