3.17.2011

5 Tips to Make your Home Smell Fresh~





Thanks to the makers of Pine-Sol® for sponsoring my writing. Share your "scent story" here for the chance to win a trip to a Scentsational Destination sponsored by Pine-Sol®. One grand prize winner will receive a choice of four amazing trips. To learn more about the Scent Away Sweeptakes, visit here.





Whenever I have people visit my home I always hope that it smells good to them. My sense of smell isn't very strong, and I'm always concerned that my home might not smell fresh and clean and I just don't know it. So I take extra precautions to make sure that my guests are greeted with a pleasant smelling home when they come visit me.

And because I think pretty much everyone would like to have their home smell good, I've put together a list of my 5 go-to tips that I've gathered along the way to help potential trouble areas in your home smell clean and fresh.

1. The bathroom.   An obvious spot for potential not-so-pleasant smells.  I have a couple of tricks for this room.  The first is to use a citrus scented spray.  A citrus scent cuts through just about anything...so along those same lines, try keeping a citrus scented candle in the bathroom. 

2. The garbage disposal. Got this tip straight from our plumber...throw some orange or other citrus rinds down the disposal periodically. The citrus smell will clear out any lingering odors.

3. Mattresses. Placing dryer sheets between your mattress and bedsheets goes a long way toward helping to eliminate unpleasant smells. And here's another fun little dryer sheet tip...use them to clean your baseboards...sounds funny, but they work well, and that laundry-fresh scent pervades your house!

4. The washing machine. If you have a front-load washing machine, you  may have noticed that it starts smelling musty/mildew-y after a while.  To help fix this problem: start by running an empty load using hot water and vinegar instead of detergent. Then make sure and leave the door open between washes so that the fresh air can help to reduce any new mildew build-up

5. The dishwasher. Dishwashers can start to smell musty...and dishwashers with a white interior are susceptible to brown stains inside. The trick to fix both the stains and the smell is to run your dishwasher while empty...and instead of using dishwasher detergent use orange drink powder. Pretty much any brand will do. Just make sure it's orange drink powder. No really, I promise it works. Stains eliminated. Musty smell gone.



So there you have it folks. 5 ways to help your home smell great! Your guests will thank you. ;-)

Don't forget to enter Pine-Sol®'s Scent Away Sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip to a Scentsational Destination. I was selected for this Pine-Sol® sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

22 comments:

Krafty Kat said...

How did you figure out the orange drink powder trick? great post!

Lindsay said...

What great tips. THANKS Wendy!

Jordan said...

great tips! I've also found that if you burn something or your kitchen smells funky that boiling a lemon cut in half with some cinnamon makes it smell nice and pretty. Is it bad if I kind of want my dishwasher to get funky so I can try the orange powder drink trick?

Chelle said...

I'm a 'smell' person for sure! One of my favorite tricks to make my house smell fresh.....I put a dryer sheet in each one of the heat vents throughout the house. Every time the heater turns on my house smells like fresh laundry! Weird, I know! My husband gives me crap about it all the time, but hey, it works!! And it lasts for over a month before I have to switch them out.

Little Miss Penny Wenny said...

Awesome tips! I would have never in a million years thought to put orange drink powder in my dishwasher... but because I trust you I will try it! Love the suggestion for the washing machine also.

Aroura said...

I'm always worried about that as well. Thanks for the great tips!!!

Jen@GarageSaleDiaries said...

I am in the spring cleaning mood! I love your 5 tips and I am interested to try the dryer sheet in our heat vents as mentioned in the comments above by Chelle.
Also, I like to wash out and deodorize garbage cans with a solution of 1 cup of baking soda per 1 gallon of water.

Mom in High Heels said...

I've never heard of the orange drink mix before! How did you find this out? I'm totally going to try this today.
One thing I do to keep our furniture and mattresses fresh (I hate the overpowering smell in those fabric refreshers you can buy) is to mix some of our liquid fabric softener with water (really, really dilute) and put it in a spray bottle. Every couple of days I spray everything down. It smells fresh, but is not overpowering. When you have 3 dogs (even really small ones), you need to spray your furniture frequently.

**Anne** said...

These are great tips.
For an economical and natural idea, you can add some of your favourite essential oil to cottonwool balls and put in a pretty container in either the bathroom or toilet for a pleasant fragrance all day. You can also make your own bathroom/toilet air fresheners by buying a pretty spray bottle, fill with water and add a few drops of water soluable essential oil like lavendar. It's better for the environment and much cheaper than store bought room fresheners.
I don't have heat vents but I was wondering whether you could put cottonwool balls with the essential oil into a muslin bag and put in the vent in place of a dryer sheet. Perhaps more economical and natural? When the fragrance is gone, add a few more drops of oil.
I read your tip about the garbage disposal unit. Do you put your vegetable and fruit peelings in the garbage disposal? If you have a house on some land, it is quite possible to start a compost heap even in areas where it snows in winter. This link has some valuable information. http://www.gardenguides.com/110643-start-compost-pile-winter.html Composting is such an important thing we can do for our environment, putting nutrients back into the soil from where we take so much. I suppose it is easier putting compostable material in a garbage disposal unit but think what the soil is missing out on. :) Just food for thought. Of course I realise many people live in apartments where this is not possible.
If your carpets smell of animals (I have a smelly labrador), you can sprinkle bi-carbonate of soda on an hour before vacuuming and this will help absorb the odours.

Ivy Bingham said...

Great tips!! I especially love the one about the front load washer.

Wonderful Post!!:)

Irene Robertson said...

wendy, these are some terrific tips. Yeah, I want to know also how you came across the drink powder as a refresher.

I am severely allergic to fragrance (sneezing, eyes watering, lungs close up) so we don't use anything with fragrance. Instead, I like to keep oranges (best smell ever) out in the open in the kitchen, or flowers in the rest of the house.

Shelia said...

Thanks for all this tips! I'm giggling at the orange powder drink in the dishwasher. It sounds so crazy and I think I'll try it! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Richella said...

Good tips, Wendy! Just this week I posted the "recipe" for my own homemade all-purpose cleaner. The most important ingredient? Orange Pine-Sol! :)

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Great tips thanks!

I am a smell-a-holic. I am VERY sensitive to smells and the first thing I do when entering my home after being out is to sniff, deeply. It's just how I am. I can sniff out smells that no one else even has yet - so being on top of "fresh" is really important to me and Lemon Pine Sol is my favorite cleaning scent actually.

It starts strong but mellows soon after to a more natural "sweet" scent than many cleaners.

Jan said...

The orange drink hint was great! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

I love these tips! Thanks so much!

Sarah
Uberlibrariana

PicturePerfectPixies said...

If the orange drink doesn't work well enough. Use Lemi Shine! It has forever changed the way I do the dishes. My dishwasher has never been cleaner!

(I find it cheapest at Walmart.)

mybelleepoque said...

The orange drink powder trick is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

DisturbedAngel said...

Regarding the sink disposal, a bad smell can also be caused by a build-up of mold up under the rubber flap that surrounds the drain hole. If you try the orange peels (ice seems to work too) and the smell doesn't go away, you may have to don a rubber glove and stick your hand down there and scrub up under the rubber flap with Comet or some other cleanser to get rid of the mold which should get rid of the odor.

kfowler

L said...

wow that was really helpful. Lots of tips I never would have guessed.
Thanks!

Christine Renee said...

i really want to try the orange drink mix! i used to leave my washer open...untill i found a dead baby mouse in there. needless to say im tramatized and have a fear of opened washers!

Pam Scape said...

Great Ideas! Do you have a homemade trick for getting rid of that dead mouse smell?