2.14.2011

Lighten Up~

I have been wanting to brighten up this drab little corner in our dining area for quite a while now. It just wasn't doin' it for me. So I drew up a little plan and went to work.

First up...change the lamp. The gold isn't part of my color scheme anymore. Ever since we switched the carpet in the living room (which is open to the dining area) I have eliminated the golds, reds and browns from the color scheme, and added more blues and whites.

But I like the lamp. I like the shade. I just didn't like the color. So what's a frugal girl to do? Why spray paint the lamp, of course!



I followed a tutorial from Janell over at Isabella and Max rooms. So rather than reiterating it here. I'll simply give you all the link.

I will however, share a few super-duper exciting photos of my lamp spraypainting adventures.


First, leave it to me to realize I was out of painter's tape AFTER I had been to the store for the spraypaint. So I improvised with a shopping bag and electrical tape. It worked just as well...luckily.



In her tutorial, Janell used Rustoleum spraypaint. I used Krylon. I like both brands, but I will say that the clear coat from Krylon was not as glossy as I had hoped. It has a nice sheen, but not a high-gloss. Just sayin'. (Of course, that could result from the fact that my main coat was in a flat finish...I already had the paint so I went ahead and used it...but perhaps a semi-gloss would have been better to achieve a glossier final product.)




Because this lamp is short and squatty, the only way to reach the bottom was to hang the lamp upside down to spray it. Worked like a charm.



And here she is all pretty and white. I'm lovin' her new softer, gentler personality.



Tomorrow...step two in the Lightening and Brightening process for this little corner.
Oh, and just a note that I took down my Formspring account. If you recently asked me a question on Formspring, and you didn't get the answer before I removed my account, feel free to email me. THANKS!


Have a great day~

24 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

It looks great. I just got through painting a lamp myself earlier. The sun's out and I want to paint!!

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said...

lol! I TOTALLY love that you spray painted and there is snow on the ground! That is dedication. I was going to give spray painting outside a try this past weekend but I got scared since it was only about 40 degrees. I suppose the paint wouldn't crystal at least...mmmmm who did it do for you? Obviously well.The lamp looks great!!

Take care.
Deb
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

{twenty}something said...

I am loving it!! Great job.

Lisa said...

So purdy! Dying to paint my lamps. That one that you did has such a great base!

Holly said...

Happy Valentines Day big sis!!! I miss you!!

The lamp is superb. I LOVE spraypaint!!!!! :):)

Jenny said...

Beautiful! I know what you mean about using glossy paint vs. clear coat. I recently tried glossy paint and had a really fantastic end result. Still, I think it looks awesome!

Pattie said...

looks great, i still can't spray paint it's still to cold here,I'm crying...

Pattie

Carol@SofasandSage.com said...

Love love love it! It's amazing what a little paint and determination in the right hands can do.

Kelly said...

So pretty....today was definitely "lighten up" weather!

Kelly

Marianne@Songbird said...

What a difference a day makes...
hmm I mean a little spray paint. She looks so nice and modern and fresh now.

WobiSobi said...

I love the white, So beautiful!!!

Designing Domesticity said...

Looks great - ah the wonders of spray paint! Can't wait to see what's next. liz

Jenni said...

Looks great! I really like how it makes the shade stand out more.

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

The lamps is gorgeous! And thanks for the shout out :)
Janell

Sandy's Fancy Pants Antiques and Collectibles said...

Isn't it amazing what paint can do. I have been waiting for warm weather this week in Arkansas. I am going to have a paintathon myself.
Very nice clean lines.

Debby said...

Great job. I love the lamp. It looks wonderful white...so clean and fresh. I wish I had something to paint right now.

queenbee1994 said...

I am stalking my goodwill and thrift stores for two lamps to tackle with spray paint. I love the shape of this lamp.

Kelli said...

love the lamp!!

i just gave you an award on my blog check it out!

Rebekka Seale said...

OOOh...it looks really, really good!

Kolein said...

Oooed Ahhed! LOVE!

Shannon said...

LOVE!!!! What a change spray paint makes!
Shannon {aka}|design

modern jane said...

I heart spray paint:) A simple change but it looks fabulous! I love that you are outside painting while there is snow on the ground.. that's determination!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Turned out awesome! I'm always up for making things brighter :)

Rhonda said...

I am in the process of lightening everything in my house! Thanks for the inspiration! Love everything!